Chapter 20: "Still a gentlemen aren't you, Reed?"

"Isla

"Isla." Her name escapes my lips before I can stop myself.

Isla Johnson. Gwen's best friend, my crush through middle school and beginning of high school, my first kiss and I guess you could say my first ever girlfriend in a way. Isla and I were close too growing up. It wasn't just her and Gwen, it was the three of us.

We had known Isla since I was 4 and her and Gwen were 3. We pretty much grew around each other. Gwen and Isla were best friends, they were in all the same classes, had similar hobbies and all that shit. Isla was a good friend of mine too and we used to hangout a lot until well she turned 11 and I turned 12.

That's when feelings started to form between us. It got a bit weird at first, both of us blushing around each other and acting like dorks, and that awkwardness that seemed to take place most times. We weren't used to that. With us it was always easygoing and fun. We were carefree and shit.

As we grew up feelings became stronger and Gwen pretty much figured out, we had a crush on each other because it was 'obvious' apparently. Finally, during my 8th grade dance, I asked her to be my date. Her and Gwen were just in 7th back then and Gwen was still fine.

During the dance I finally got the guts and kissed her. It was super cliché. We were in the middle of the dance floor, dancing on a slow song and just staring at each other before I had leaned down and we kissed. It was both our first kisses.

And well then Gwen had started getting sick and things went downhill. We never talked about the kiss again and we focused on Gwen.

When Gwen's conditional had gotten worse and it was her last month, I remember seeing Isla sitting outside her hospital room that day, crying. Even I was crying. Everyone was. We all had lost hope.

She saw me and rushed up to me, hugging the shit out of me. That night she stayed over and we sat at the roof outside my window and looked at the stars and poured out our hearts on how heartbroken both of us were. We both were hurting over Gwen because we loved her and that someone got us closer.

We kissed again that night, under the stars. Another cliché kiss.

Then... well nothing happened again and then Gwen passed away. During her funeral we both were just holding each other and crying our hearts out.

After that I didn't see Isla again. I isolated myself so did she. And then all that shit with mom and dad happened and we moved to New York. I never contacted her nor did I know how she was or where she was.

"New York, huh?" Isla's voice breaks me out of my thoughts. "Huh?" I ask. "This is where you disappeared to. New York." She says. "Yeah." I say a bit guilty. She nods before looking down and then back up at me. "You have gotten taller..." She says and I chuckle. "So have you." I tease and she becomes red.

"Hey! I was always tall." She says and a small smile comes on my face. "Sure, you were." I chuckle, recalling how she was the shortest in her grade. She rolls her eyes, "Still a jerk I see." She mumbles and I smirk. "Sure." I say and she bites her lip to hold her smile.