Chapter 33 - Zayn

Niall has been gone for two days.

Two days of trying to hold it together.

Two days of the hopelessness growing as the hours drag on.

Two days since Niall was taken from us.

Two days where he's been in pain.

Alone.

And we've done nothing. Nothing that's helped us find him, anyway. We've looked for him every place we could think of, always one of us staying behind with Louis in the hospital in fear of him being taken too. His injuries would've made the task that much easier to overpower than anyone else.

Harry, especially has been terrified to leave him by himself. Always making sure either Liam or I stay in the room the few times he's left to take care of himself.

We haven't told Louis' sisters about Niall's disappearance yet. We decided that it would be better to just say that he's down with the flu.

But the lack of humour and jokes flowing between us. The absence of laughter and smiles, making the already dim atmosphere worse.

There's no Niall complaining about being hungry not even five minutes after we ate. There's no light banter filling the silence like usual.

Niall's laughter doesn't cut through the air, bringing smiles to everyone's faces. There's no one trying to convince everyone that Ireland is the best country in the world.

Now there are teary, hopeless eyes. Desperate phone calls. Clinging to each other for a shred of comfort.

Long hours out looking for the person who seems to have taken the life with him when he left.

Is this what they felt when I left?

But they knew I wouldn't just die on them. I wasn't kidnapped. I had to go. And they stayed behind.

We signed the contract two days ago. We sent it to the address we were supposed to two days ago. We drove to that address two days ago, but no one was there.

The address was a warehouse about three hours outside of London.

The warehouse was surrounded by nothing but empty fields. No house or anything civil in sight.

We searched the entire building but found nothing. All there was, was a large, empty room full og nothing, a small office and another, smaller storage room full of empty boxes.

But no Niall.

We went to Simon's office, but he was nowhere to be found.

We went to his house, but it was vacant.

I just know that, wherever he is, we'll find Niall too.

We signed our entire lives away in order to get Niall back, but they didn't keep up their end of the deal. Niall is still with them. Alone and hurt.

"Maybe we could get the house ready for when he comes back.", I propose from my position. Head resting in Liam's lap, my body sprawled out on the sofa we got moved in here from pure exhaustion.

When Liam doesn't respond, I immediately try to explain myself, "I don't want to do it without him, of course. But wouldn't it be better for him to be able to come back and not have to worry about all of that stuff. He'll get his room that we can buy stuff for once he's here, but we can get the rest of the house in order. I also don't wanna live alone anymore. It makes me feel really anxious not being around –"

Liam cuts off my quiet, rushed words by bringing his head down to peck my lips quickly. "Don't worry, luv. It's a good idea. I was just thinking."

"About what?", I question as I admire his features in the dim lighting. The butterflies only growing stronger, for once overpowering the pit of worry that's usually lodged in my stomach making me want to throw up.