Chapter 16: Through her eyes he saw himself a blind man

"Lucifer, you need to calm down," he had heard the words, yet he couldn't do as they said.

As it turns out, being alone when his infant daughter has a fever of 105 degrees, that came out of nowhere, things can get a little bit intense.

He made quite the kerfuffle when he waltzed through the doors of the ER with his daughter in arms and only covered by a towel wrapped at the waist. It was by sheer miracle that he wasn't entirely naked, the towel having resisted the speed-of-light of his wings. Pretty much immediately after he unfurled his wings, doctors and nurses prodded and poked the devil's baby girl with everything they had, not before giving him a pair of scrubs to change into. Apparently, a fever as high as 105 that appears out of nowhere is never a good sign, and his quick acting could very well be what saved his baby girl. He had been haunted by her cries as they poked her heels and inserted a tiny IV line in her scalp, so much so that he didn't even notice the doctors had been able to draw blood out of her in the first place. He had thought her to be just as immune to injury as he was, but in all honesty, he couldn't bring himself to care when no one could tell him what was wrong.

It didn't take the hospital staff at Cedars Sinai more than an hour to get Clover admitted. Triage tests weren't giving them any information and her fever was doing nothing but keep going up, which meant admittance was unavoidable. As far as they could tell, she didn't have an infection, she didn't have a virus, all her vitals except her temperature were good, and there was nothing immediate they could do to lower her temperature.

"I can't, Doctor, I can't." He told Linda, biting the inside of his cheek to avoid crying from the frustration. They had started her on antibiotics and a bunch of other medications to treat all the most common reasons why an infant gets a 105 fever, but so far they were doing nothing. "No one tells me what's going on and she won't stop crying, and I'm going insane!" The infant was only wearing diapers in a futile attempt to get her temperature to come down. She was resting vertically on Lucifer's naked chest, since skin to skin contact had always been what brought her the most comfort. He was bouncing her up and down, hoping the motion would ease her cries but so far nothing seemed to be working.

"Babies are highly sensitive to the emotions in their environment. If you can't calm yourself down for yourself, then do it for her," Linda answered very calmly, having arrived at the hospital about fifteen minutes before. Lucifer did try to ease his own breathing, to not be as anxious, but it was borderline impossible.

"I... I don't know what I'm gonna do if something happens to her," he kissed her on her head, carefully avoiding the IV line placed on her scalp. Her hair was just like Chloe's, only without the highlights she went to the salon for.

"She'll be just fine, Lucifer. She's half angel. I don't think either of these babies will go anywhere anytime soon," she placed a hand on her own growing womb, where her half-angel baby boy was snuggled up comfortably. "Now, I want to know what's wrong with you. You missed a session yesterday. You never miss a session." Surprisingly enough, the doctor was perfectly able to talk over the cries of the infant, and if she wanted to distract Lucifer so he would calm down, they had to talk about anything else. "So... What happened?"

"I believe the question should be what didn't happen." He answered bitterly, coming face to face with the uncountable events of the previous night.

"Why don't you tell me about it?" Linda said as she sat down on the armchair in the room, Not even knowing what awaited her on the other side of that question.

With a reluctant sigh, Lucifer opened up about the events of the night before, and the ones from that same morning. He told Linda everything with the utmost detail, from when Father Kinley knocked on the door that used to be his home, to his first fight with Chloe, to him meeting Eve at Lux, and then everything that happened on that very same morning, merely hours ago.