A New Threat

Ravan would not allow the enemy army another break, during which he mourned the loss of Kumbhakaran. Sure, all he wanted to do was cremate his brother and watch the flames lick the tense air and release sparking embers into the dark city of Lanka at night, he could not. Rather, he would not. Taking yet another break would be a sign of weakness. Ram and his band of bandits would think that he was growing less and less strong by the day, and while this was not entirely wrong, Ravan still didn't want to prove them right!

So they sat in his court, of the courtesans and advisers and throned warriors, way into the morning hours, in those moments before dawn they still discussed tensely, all drooping eyes quickly snapped back open. This was their honor, their family, their livelihoods and very lives they were talking about! This was their king and his happiness they were talking about! To fall asleep or to succumb to human weaknesses (though they weren't humans, they were demons who ate humans, long story, anyways) was to warrant their death, or to warrant their families'. Either way, it wasn't going to be a good outcome.

Ravan rubbed the tip of his stubbled chin. He hadn't been shaving very much in the days past, for many different reasons. One being that he was so enamoured with Sita, any moment spent not thinking about her was a moment wasted and stolen by Time. And he certainly couldn't think of Sita while trying not to cut his own face off, so that was a big no no. Another that an army of monkeys and two hermits, plus many bears were now on his land of Lanka. Ravan had always prided himself on having absolutely zero pesky, chattering, dumb monkeys in his land, and now lo and behold! The entire population of the world's monkeys had showed up instead!

The last reason was simple. Ravan's now five hundred thousand wives (he married four hundred thousand more for stress relief, keep up now!) liked him more with a rugged, stubbly look. Ravan didn't care much for the rest of his wives, there was only Sita in his mind, but then again, he reasoned. If his clean shaven look did not appeal to her, perhaps this new Western one would. What, did you people think he was not shaving because his warriors were dying? No, that didn't matter! As long as Ravan or his wives or Sita weren't dying, he was all good.

So they discussed late into the night, until finally, Trishira stood up, his eyes blazing. Trishira could be considered (other than Indrajit, of course), the leader of Ravan's sons. He had Ravan's blazing and bloodshot eyes, and that was about it. Now Trishira wasn't particularly special. He didn't chew tobacco like Devantak or have a silent, brooding, and arge personality like Atikaya, nor was he a master of the illusions like Indrajit. But what Trishira could do? Lead. He had all of Ravan's leading capabilities.

He could lead an army of his straight into the jaws of an enemy, and they would not resist, they would not stay back, they would not peel off from his formation or lose faith in him all of a sudden, or worry for themselves, their lives, or their families. If Trishira was leading them, they would run right into their deaths. Much like Ravan was leading all of his courtesans (warrior or otherwise) into theirs.

So Trishira stood up, eyes blazing as always, and so did Narantak and Atikaya. "We too are willing to fight for you father!" Narantak roared, beating his chest. Narantak was one of sheer brawn and brute force and what-not, as long as it was ruthless. But when Atikaya stood up, his silver armor glistened in the light of the lanterns. If he was tall when he sat, he was akin to Kumbhakaran when he stood up. Well maybe not that tall, or else they would have sent him and Kumbhakaran like twin tornadoes to end Ram's army and also create many cracks in the Earth along the way. Devantak still chewed his tobacco, eyes narrowed maliciously, before he hit the end of his throne and stood up too.

"I, son of Dhanyamalini, pledge full allegiance up till the very end!" he barked loudly, and Trishira bared his fangs, watching the entire scene with jealousy. Secretly, they all competed for Ravan's attention (not that it was very desirable of course, and besides, Ravan only wanted attention from Sita, which he didn't get obviously). "Not that there shall be an end!" he laughed, and even Ravan bared a smile at his son's bristly growl.