Michelangelo the Mischievous

"I'm going to be seven tomorrow! Seven!" cried Bharat exuberantly, jumping on his bed. "I'll finally be older than Laksh and Shatru, and-" Shatrughan cut in excitedly.

"And, you'll get presents! I can't wait for my birthday either, can you Laksh?" Without allowing his twin to speak, he continued. "I wonder how you'll react to your surprise present-mmmf!" Lakshman clapped a hand on his careless twin's mouth, but the damage was done. Bharat had heard.

"What did he say? Surprise present?" Lakshman face palmed, and glared at Shatrughan, who shrunk a little bit. "He said surprise present. Well, what is it?" Bharat persisted. At this point, Ram walked into the room, and heard what Bharat had said.

"Bharat, don't be like that. I'm sure you can wait a day!" Ram tried to cover up the mistake. Bharat scowled, and crossed his arms.

"I'm going! Until you give me my present, you will not find me!" Bharat stormed off, and Lakshman turned towards Shatrughan furiously.

"Shatrughan, can't you keep a secret? I wonder what will happen when we go to war with some enemy. Will you shout out the battle plans into the air because you can't bear to keep it within you?" Shatrughan shrugged.

"He isn't serious about it, Laksh. He'll come around." Ram consoled the two, and they followed him as he began to search for the 2nd prince. "Where are you, Bharat?" they called, they shouted, and in Shatrughan's case, they teased, taunted.

A few hours later, the three brothers came back to the center of the castle, Shatrughan holding a large, spherical ladoo. "I found nothing, except some sweets, a bowl of rice, and a fallen slipper." Shatrughan held up a golden slipper which belonged to Bharat.

Lakshman snatched it. "Where did you find this, twin?" Shatrughan pointed towards the garden, and Ram groaned. Of course Bharat was there. Bharat often sought a relaxing place in the garden when he needed to calm down. Ram couldn't blame him. Soft birds chirped in the distance, cool breezes rustled the tree leaves, a steady stream of crystal clear water fell from the fountains, and no one ventured out to disturb you. Except apparently the three princes of Ayodhya, nobody.

The trio strolled towards the great willow tree in the main garden, where Bharat was sitting, looking very bored.

"Here," sighed Ram, handing him a wrapped box. "From all of us." Bharat stared at it, eyes twinkling, then ripped off the thin leaf paper, to reveal a large, wooden palette filled with bright paints.

"Wow." he gasped, looking up. "Thank you!" Shatrughan bit his lip. "So, that's what he would look like." Laksh whispered.

"I came up with the idea. Laksh carved the wood, and Ram bhaiyya located the paints. It was a team effort." Shatrughan stated. Bharat grinned, and the four brothers walked back to the palace, Bharat stumbling occasionally due to staring at his gift and nothing else.

Ram knew it was the perfect present when Shatrughan had mentioned it. Bharat wouldn't like weapons, but he spent hours on end admiring the beautiful reliefs etched into the front doors of his chamber. He was also the peacemaker, between the brothers, the mothers, some court officials, and Lakshman and literally everyone who crossed his path. Nobody except the three brothers, especially Shatrughan, who was extra attached to Bharat, seemed to understand that, however.

The entire dinner, Bharat fidgeted without his palette, which was something usually only the twins, hyperactive as they were, did. As night fell, Bharat retired to his chambers. What better time to paint than at night, when no one would be there to see him?