A Very SiRA Life

"Aren't the gardens wonderful?" Ram asked, looking around in awe. "So beautiful, so colorful! I wouldn't mind if I could stay here forever, instead of the palace." he pouted at Janak's grand castle, gold rooks and tops shining and sparkling in the sky.

"Oh really? You compliment these gardens more than me!" Sita laughed, picking tiny pink flowers, and placing in the crook of her arm to be put in the beautiful, clear crystal vases that lined the halls. "Sometimes, I think that you should marry the flowers rather than me." Ram shook his head as if insulted.

"I wouldn't marry anyone other than you, forget anything! Thank goodness Lakshman brought me back to my senses, or else I would have walked off. Honestly." Ram snorted at his stupid self as Sita nodded agreeingly. She couldn't imagine a life that wouldn't have Ram in it now that she was so close to marrying him.

She looked around the gardens. "Speaking of your brother, where is he? He and my sister have become quite good friends, have they not?" Ram nodded ahead, keeping his eye open as well. Who knew what would happen if Lakshman was left alone for too long? Sure, he wasn't Shatrughan, but he was so close to him in blood, Ram knew the inner Shatrughan in him would show up some day.

"No!" they heard a shout from far away. "No, I am not done with the carving, it takes a few days!" Sita laughed, her cheeks turning a light red in amusement. Ram stared at her as she giggled. The tinkling sound in his ears alleviated all of his fears, made him want to hear more.

"Urmila has been obsessed with carvings ever since she saw the first one your brother made. He's quite talented, you know?" Ram nodded along without knowing what she was saying, just intoxicated at the sound of her laughter, addicted to it. He felt Sita's eyes on him, and shook himself out of his trance.

"It-um it takes Lakshman only about a few hours to." Ram mentioned. Sita widened her eyes, and looked far off as if she could actually see the pair of friends. Her eyes filled with mirth as she thought of the situation where he was actually delaying the carving, and Ram sighed. Life without Sita was a useless one, and it was good he had come to that conclusion soon.

Like water and air, Sita's happiness was necessary for him to continue breathing, being an existence upon this Earth. Every time he heard the light jingling of her anklets, he would look up eagerly, his eyes straining to see her. Each evening, as they were separated, and had to go to their own quarters, Ram refused to eat, or drink until he saw his soon-to-be wife again.

Her laughter made him happy, he felt like he only existed for her. He had never felt this way for anyone, no one made his heart beat as Sita made it. It was impossible for him to put all of his life based on one person, and yet here he was, lovestruck and on top of the moon. Sita had seemed sad lately, though he couldn't figure out why.

"Does Ayodhya have gardens like this?" Ram bit his lip, thinking about it. He was certain Ayodhya had gardens, he would often use them for meditating, but not like this. No place on Earth had gardens like this! He turned to Sita, and one look at him answered her question. Sita pouted a little, and her shoulders seemed to slump, but she continued picking flowers with a sense of lasting determination.

"Does Ayodhya have large, green fields, prosperous and filled with rice plants, like we do? Can you see the happy farmers working, chewing on wheat ends and sweating so that we may eat?" Sita inquired, turning her face away from him.Ram thought it over in his mind, teetering from one foot to the other.

"We have farmers and fields, but no rice fields, and certainly not this prosperous! I wish we did though, they're a beautiful sight to see, not just for the economy." Sita swallowed, and Ram tried to cheer her up. "We do have markets, filled with people! You can see merchants from lands far away, tall and short, lean and stout." Sita smiled at his attempt, and nodded.