Who Are You Again?

Start from the beginning

Both of their primary concerns has always been his safety.

"A little," Steve admits.

"Is it permanent?" Bucky asks.

"So far," Steve responds.

Bucky suddenly stops walking.

"Ellie? Is she okay?" Bucky asks urgently.

"She's fine, I saw her right before I left," Steve says.

He grabs Bucky's arm to continue to drag him forward.

"You're supposed to be home taking care of her," Bucky insists.

Bucky's first and foremost concern will always be for Lizzie. He hates the idea of her alone but he can't help the joy he feels at seeing his best friend after all this time in hell.

"I'm taking care of her by taking care of you," Steve says.

Steve can see the exit now so he urges Bucky to run faster.

"Captain America! How exciting! I am a great fan of your films," Schmidt says.

Schmidt walks out of the shadows followed closely by Zola. He moves to stands in the direct path they need to exit.

"So, Dr. Erskine managed it after all. Not exactly an improvement but still, impressive," Schmidt says.

As Schmidt makes his speech, Steve and Schmidt walk towards each other until they are face to face in the middle of the metal catwalk.

Steve punches Schmidt and he stumbles back.

"You have no idea," Steve says.

Schmidt is rubbing his face but he quickly recovers.

"Haven't I?" Schmidt says.

Steve blocks Schmidt's punch with his shield but his fist still leaves a deep dent in it. Steve pulls out his gun but drops it when Schmidt knocks him back.

Steve kicks Schmidt and he falls to the ground. Zola who is waiting for Schmidt on the other side pulls a lever which separates the catwalk that joins the two ends of the chasm.

Bucky and Steve were trapped.

"No matter what lies Erskine told you, you see, I was his greatest success" Schmidt says.

Schmidt reaches to his face and pulls back the skin leaving a monstrous red skull behind.

"You don't have one of those, do you?" Bucky asks.

"You are deluded, Captain. You pretend to be a simple soldier but in reality, you are just afraid to admit that we have all left humanity behind. Unlike you, I embrace it proudly. Without fear!" Schmidt says as him and Zola retreat.

"Then why are you running?" Steve yells.

Schmidt doesn't respond but instead enters the elevator, leaving Steve and Bucky alone.

There's an explosion down in the chasm and Steve knows they need to get out now. Steve looks up and sees a single slim beam that leads to the other side. Steve and Bucky quickly run upstairs to cross it.

Steve has Bucky go first but the beam starts breaking before he is even halfway across. He moves quickly and just manages to jump on the adjacent platform before it breaks off completely.