Chapter 10 - Bonding

Start from the beginning

"I'm saving our relationship with our son, what's left of it anyway, after that ludicrous display you put on earlier." Narcissa remarked to her husband as she continued to ensure that the dining room and the contents of the table were being arranged perfectly.

Lucius scoffed, "I'll have you know that was for the betterment of our family's business! I see no reason to sit back and-"

"He's our son, Lucius!" Narcissa snapped, looking at her husband with her own eyes narrowed, "That's my baby boy! I don't care about the betterment of the family business if it means hurting Draco! I only want to see him happy and this makes him happy! Are you that blind that you can't see it?!"

"Biscuits and quail make him that happy?" Lucius asked sarcastically as his eyes scanned over the food on the table.

Narcissa threw Lucius a dangerous glare, "No, Lucius! The Potter girl! The child that she carries! Draco's elated, and I refuse to see my only son's light extinguished at the hands of his own father."

"Clearly, my only son has forgotten about the war." Lucius said as he bitterly reminded his wife that the Potter family were not traditional friends of the Malfoy household.

"The war is over, Lucius." Narcissa said flatly, "We lost and the Potters' won."

Narcissa looked over at her husband and said very seriously, "You'll do well to remember that now, my love. I don't care about the war. I don't care about rival families. I care about my family, my husband, my son, and the grandchild that my son's omega is soon to give birth to. You've gone around the bend if you think I won't be there waiting to hold that baby the moment they come into this world."

Lucius stood and gazed at his wife for a moment, watching the fire of determination that burned in her icy blue eyes. Over two decades had gone by since their marriage but Narcissa hadn't dulled a bit over the years, not her beauty, not her flame.

Lucius's grey gaze softened as he scanned over his mate.

That was something he had always admired about his omega, her complete and utter determination to protect Draco. It had been an unignorable instinct for Narcissa from the moment the Malfoy heir had been conceived.

Lucius smirked to himself, amused by his own foolishness.

Did he really think his wife would abandon her deep affection for her only child?

"We're going to do as Draco asked." Narcissa informed her husband.

"Oh?" Lucius replied as he raised an eyebrow.

"We're going to give Harriet Potter a proper welcome to the Malfoy family." Narcissa replied.

Lucius began "But she isn't-"

Narcissa held up a hand and her spouse fell silent, "She is now, Lucius, and she will be forever, whether she likes it or not. Sit down. I'm going to go and collect the children."

Lucius eyed Narcissa as he sat down at the table. He carefully watched her walk away as a thought lingered in his mind.

To an outsider, Narcissa's statement would have sounded ominous, but it wasn't, it was just a pure and simple truth.

When Draco's child was born, Harriet's name would go on the Malfoy family tree.

Birth and death.

Once completed, those were immutable events, even in the wizarding world.

For the most part, anyway.

—————————————————————

Draco would have gladly let his languid kisses with Harriet flourish into a lovemaking session but he was too attentive to his mate's needs to push her any further when he sensed her enthusiasm lessening.