six | a talent show

☼

chapter six | a talent show
episode four

There was no sleep once again as the lanterns were lit, illuminating the bar with a soft glow. Kaz unrolled the Little Palace blueprints as Jesper placed his drink on the edge as he stared at the many rooms. Neave's eyes flickered across the space with her mind occupied on anything but the job. Which room had been her mother's?

Jesper pointed to a possible opportunity. "What about..."

"No, look," Inej pointed to another.

"Oh," Jesper answered.

Inej's finger moved with Neave's eyes following. "How about this hallway?"

"No go," said Jesper. "See? Guard tower."

"There's no way in," Inej realised.

"And no way out," Kaz noticed too.

"We're screwed then," Neave summarised.

"Well, I thought this plan might not work," the Conductor added.

Behind them, there was a yelp that was followed by a thud. Neave's mouth parted as she whipped around to see that the acrobat had fallen from the rope. The crowd gasped in horror as Neave hurried to interfere to help, though she wasn't sure what she could do.

Kaz's cane blocked her from leaving. "Focus, Neave."

"But she's hurt!" Neave argued.

"She's not our problem," he answered.

Neave frowned, watching as the poor girl was crowded as she hoped that she wasn't too badly hurt. From a fall that high, the girl would survive but it would come with injuries that Neave hoped were not too bad.

Eventually, the three end up drinking with the sun starting to rise behind them. While tired, Neave felt drained with the lack of enthusiasm she now felt towards the plan. It was demoralising to know that they were doing an impossible job without a clue on what to do next.

Inej turned to Kaz. "Got any plans up your sleeve?"

"I mean, Kribirsk isn't the worst," Jesper decided. "We can open a bar. Brew East Ravkan beer for the westerners?"

Kribirsk wasn't the Little Palace, though; there was nothing here for Neave.

"Shut up, Jesper," Inej and Kaz both said.

"I miss Milo," said Jesper as Neave patted his hand.

"Hold on," said Neave, thinking suddenly on the spot (whether it was a good idea or not, she wasn't sure). "What if we find out what we can about my mother and then use me as a reason to get in? Maybe Annette had that much of a role at the Little Palace that we might get in without much suspicion."