Chapter 76: Some Men Are Born Great...

Start from the beginning

His mother.

I don't know what happened. All I know is one day he came home saying that he'd going on tour that next year-about around the same time as me-he didn't same very happy about it. Happiness wasn't something that I had expected. I just looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. Fighting that risiting urge to have that I told you so attitude I knew he hated so much.

That is how we came to be here. Standing in front of a restaurant with people standing around us. Talking and laughing. His family was there. His brothers and their wives. Along with his parents. The guy I was staring at was former boxer, Don King. A man who creeped me out beyong so many levels. I didn't trust him, he reminded me of one of those evil mad scientist.

"Liyah, be nice." He told me with a sigh.

"What? I'm just saying." I said as glanced back at him. " That's just downright, unnatural." He shook his head. I wasn't able to tell exactly what it was he was thinking because he wore his dark aviators over his eyes. "How long is this supposed to last? I'm hungry."

"Hopefully not too long."

"You think we can get straight home tonight or will we have to get a hotel?" I wrinkled my nose at the thought.

"You really wanna go on a four hour flight back home after this?" He asked, smartly.

As soon as he said how long it would me the more I felt the whole idea deteriate into nothing. "Yes," I said anyway. I was in no mood for staying in New York over night.

"Let's just get this over with." He said as we began walking towards the seats where the rest of his family was sitting. Everyone was settling down now and I knew he would have to go find his brothers so that they could prepare to walk out when they were announced.

Janet had saved me a seat so that I could have someone I was comfortable with sitting next to me. I placed my purse in front of it and turned to him. " You're not gonna say anything are you?" I asked, low enough so that Joseph wouldn't here us over the noise. He was sitting two seats down from Janet.

He shook his head. " I don't plan to."

I pressed my lips together and stepped to him. "Okay." I gave him a quick peck on the lips and smiled. " Just get it over with then."

"Okay." He smiled and then turned and walked away. Bill followed behind

I sat down and looked at Janet was playing with her nails. I could see that Katherine was talking to her and she was probably just listening and waiting. So I turned my head towards the front where Don was standing at the podium, beginning to present what the conference was about. I flipped my hair back and shifted it over to my shoulder so that I could feel the cool November air on my neck.

"Ouch.." I heard someone say next to me.

I turned to see a woman who look fresh and really young. Maybe my age. I wasn't sure. She looked familiar to me. I swore I had seen her face from some where. I just couldn't quite figure out where. "I'm sorry." I said to her. She had to be apart of the family someway, or a friend. Only they could sit on the front row. She must be one of the wives, I thought.

"Hey, you're...Liyah, right?" She asked me.

"Yes, I am."

She extended her hand out for me to shake. " I'm Carol, Marlon's wife."

"Oh, right." I shook her hand as her face slowly became familiar to my mind. "You were at my wedding, weren't you?"

"Yes, we all were." She said. I looked passed her and noticed that all the wives were there: Enid, De De and Hazel. Including myself and her.