He'll Do It For Bucky

Start from the beginning

Steve looks at the war map in the tent, noting the location of the hydra base.

"Yes, sir. I do," Steve says.

He knows it's improbable that Bucky is alive but he has to at least try. He also owes it to all the men that risked their lives to at least try to rescue them.

Steve walks back to his tent and begins assembling his things. He's going on this mission, with or without help. While he's packing, Peggy walks in.

"What do you plan to do? Walk from Austria?" Peggy asks.

He really really likes Peggy but nothing can stop him at this point from going.

"If that's what it takes," Steve says briskly.

"You heard the Colonel, your friend is most likely dead," Peggy says.

"You don't know that," Steve says.

He knows she's right but he also knows that Bucky would never leave him if the situation were reversed.

Even if he is dead, he would also like a body that his sister could bury instead of an empty coffin. She deserves that closure.

"Even so, he is devising a strategy," Peggy says.

"By the time he's done, it could be too late," Steve says.

If Bucky is alive then minutes may be the difference between his life and death. He won't gamble with Bucky's life.

Steve finally finishes packing supplies and heads for a jeep.

"Steve!" Peggy yells after him.

She catches up to him just as he places the things in the car.

"You told me you thought I was meant for more that this. Did you mean that?" Steve asks.

Steve is nervous for her answer. He desperately wants her to believe in him. He's never been one to seek approval but for some reason, he desperately wants hers.

"Every word," she says intensely.

"Then you got to let me go," Steve says.

He moves to get into the car but Peggy follows him to the driver's side.

"I can do more than that," Peggy says.

In less than in hour, he's on an airplane on the way to rescue Bucky.

Peggy sits with him in the back and explains where the exact location of the base is.

"We should be able to drop you right on the doorstep," Howard says as he flies the plane.

"Just get me as close as you can," Steve responds.

Steve really appreciates Howard and Peggy's help but he can't help but feel guilty for dragging them into this. This is his fight.

"You know you two are gonna be in a lot of trouble when you land," Steve warns them.

"And you won't?" Peggy responds.

"Where I'm going, if anybody yells at me I can just shoot them," Steve says.

Steve doesn't relish in the thought of killing another human being but he'll do it for his country. He'll do it for Bucky.

"They will undoubtedly shoot back," Peggy responds.

Steve looks over at his shield. It's not the most durable but it will leave some coverage.

"Well, let's hope it's good for something," Steve says.

"Agent Carter, if we're not in too much of a hurry I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue," Howard says.

Steve looks between the pair of them. He thought the two of them had a platonic relationship but he must have been wrong. In all honesty, he thought that Howard annoyed Peggy.

He should've known a woman like her wouldn't be available. And how could Steve compete with a billionaire?

Peggy doesn't respond to Howard and they sit in silence for a moment.

"Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's mad enough to brave this air space. We're lucky to have him," Peggy says.

He knows he shouldn't ask but he wants confirmation to what he already assumes.

"So, are you two... do you... fondue?" Steve asks.

Peggy doesn't respond to him so in his mind, that's a yes.

"This is your transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us straight to you," Peggy says.

He takes the transponder from Peggy and looks towards Howard.

"Are you sure this thing works?" Steve asks.

"It's been tested more than you pal," Howard responds.

Suddenly the plane shutters and they can hear gunfire. Steve knows that if they stay in this area any longer, they could all go down but he can't turn back now.

He gets up to prepare to make the jump.

"Get back here! We're taking you all the way in!" Peggy yells.

Steve opens the door and slides to the edge.

"As soon as I am clear, you turn this thing around and get the hell out of here!" Steve yells.

"You can't give me orders," Peggy says angrily.

"The hell I can't! I'm a captain!" He responds.

He then lowers his goggles and jumps out of the plane.

He just prays his friend is still alive and he gets there in time to save him.