⁷⁶ 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙖𝙧𝙙𝙚𝙣

Everyone had now geared up and were in the Benatar with Carol, Nebula, and Rocket piloting it

"Okay, Who here hasn't been to space?" Rocket spins on his his seat to face the rest. Steve, Nat, Y/N, and Rhodey raise their hands sheepishly, making Carol chuckle.

"Why?" Rhodey frowned.

"You better not throw up on my ship," Rocket warned them and turned back around to the front.

"Approaching jump in three, two," Nebula counted down and braced herself with the rest, "One." The ship picked up speed and started to jump. Y/N watched in fascination, her eyes widening slightly, as they pass through space and planets.

The ship slowed down to a stop in front of the planet and Carol headed out to the front of the ship. "I'll head down for recon," she said over the comms and sped down towards the planet.

Steve was staring down at Peggy's picture in the compass. His lips were pursed and brows were furrowed in worry and anxiousness. He closed it and looked ahead, waiting for Carol to show up.

Nat smiled to herself but it dropped when she saw his glum expression, "This is gonna work, Steve."

"I know it will," he turned to her," 'Cause I don't know what I will do if it doesn't"

 "Yeah, well," Y/N piped up in a low voice, "Join the club," she rubbed her face with her good hand. Nat slung her arm around her neck and brought her in a side hug.

None of the Avengers tried to make Y/N stay behind in the compound, well Pepper did, but gave up seeing that she was more stubborn that Tony himself. Nat knew how much this meant to Y/N and didn't stop her, but suggested that she shouldn't do any of the fighting, if there was any.

Carol returned back to report, floating in front of the ship "No satellites, no ships, no armies, no ground defences of any kind. It's just him"

"And that's enough," Nebula nodded.

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

Thanos's armour lays on the middle of a field like a scarecrow. Birds chirp in the distance as the sun slowly sets down in the horizon. The Titan was walking towards his cottage with a basket full of friends he had collected in the basket. He limped up the wooden steps and entered through the door.

Fire was crackling in the small pit in the middle of the house as he added all the needed ingredients into a pot. He placed the pot on the fire and looked up at the sky as he heard something.

A yellow beam of energy tore through the ceiling of his cottage and he tried to shield himself with his Gauntlet hand. Carol jumped into the corner on one knee, swung herself over and held him in a chokehold, using her foot to keep his Gauntlet arm away.

Bruce came up in the Hulkbuster suit through the firepit and stretched out his Gauntlet arm. Rhodey burst through the wall and held his other. Thor breaks in, swung the Stormbreaker over his head. and cut off the Gauntlet arm. Thanos groaned in pain as the arm fell to the ground with a thump.

Steve, Y/N, and Nat walked in through the front door with Rocket and Nebula in the back. The raccoon flipped the arm over and his eyes widened at the empty slots which were supposed to be having the stones, "Oh, no," he muttered under his breath.

Steve, Y/N, and Nat looked down at the Gauntlet and exchanged a look with each other. 

"Where are they?" Steve asked the Titan. Thor took a deep breath with wide eyes and Y/N ran a tongue over her inner cheek.

Carol tightened her chokehold as Thanos remained silent, "Answer the question."

"The universe required correction," he started to speak, "After that, the stones served no purpose."

"You murdered trillions!" Bruce yelled in anger and pushed him over.

"You should be grateful," he snarled and Bruce punched him across the face.

"Where are the stones?" Nat asked shakily with a quiet inhale.

"Gone," Thanos croaked, "Reduced to atoms."

"You used them two days ago!" Bruce pointed out.

"I used the Stones to destroy the stones," he explained, "It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be. I am inevitable."

"We have to tear this place apart," Rhodey spoke up as everyone looked down at Thanos in disgust and defeat, "He has to be lying!"

"My father is many things," Nebula said, "A liar is not one of them," she walked closer to him and he looked up at her.

"Ah, thank you, daughter. Perhaps I treated you too harshly—"

Thor raised the Stormbreaker with a yell as it crackled with lightening and cut off Thanos's head before he could finish speaking. Blood splattered on Nebula's face and she touched the wet spot gingerly, feeling it on her fingertips.

"What?" Bruce breathed in confusion as the head rolled on the ground and came to a stop in the corner.

"What did you do?" Rocket looked up at him in horror.

"I went for the head," Thor's voice wavered as it spoke.

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

To say that they were heavy-hearted was an understatement. None of the Avengers in The Garden had returned to the ship, all of the scattered about the field, taking their own time to let their defeat sink in and grieve.

Y/N was standing in the middle of the field, away from everyone and stared into the horizon with a poker face. But on the inside, she wanted to scream, let go her suppressed emotions, break everything that was on her way till she bled, but she kept her cool. Besides, it was what she was trained for all her life.

"Y/N, how're you holding up?" Bruce walked over to her side, following her gaze to the sunset, "I'm going back to the ship. Nat is too—"

"No, no," she looked away, blinking rapidly to hide her glassy eyes, "You guys go ahead, I'll be right back."

"Y/N," his tone softened to a level that it sounded sympathetic, and she hated it, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she chuckled lightly and turned to give him a weird look, adjusting the arm in the sling. She snapped her eyes ahead at the empty field, feeling the burning at the corner of her eyes intensify.

Shaking his head, Bruce stepped in front of her and wrapped his arms around her middle, cautiously avoiding her left arm, "No, you're not."

Feeling her walls crumble, Y/N let out a shaky sigh and rested her chin on his shoulder, shutting her eyes so tightly that she saw black spots and a tear managed to slip down her cheek—

"No, I'm not."

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .