Chapter 06: Closer

And there's no way
that I'll end up being with you
But friends don't look at friends that way

That Way

"Oh, thanks," You respond, hoping he didn't notice the subtle hint of nervousness in your voice

He just had this aura that made you shy, yet you liked being with him—which sucked. You've never felt this way about someone before.

Yes, you had Natsu, Erza, Gray, and Lucy as friends, but it's not as if you wanted to be with them all the time. If they weren't with you, your mind doesn't continuously look for them as if you were some clingy friend. But with Mystogan, it was different. And it felt weird... and nice.

"(Y/N)-san—" Mystogan says, but you interrupt him to say something important.

"(Y/N)," You tell him and he looked over at you. Your eyes met, his widened eyes mesmerizingly filled with wonder. His brown eyes were staring straight at you and you fight the urge to smile.

"Just call me (Y/N)." You shortly continue, seeing as he was confused as to what you meant. His eyes suddenly changed from being filled with wonder to awe. You chuckle at how expressive his eyes are.

His orbs were mesmerizing, you couldn't help but stare into them. You almost feel enchanted by his golden irises.

"Okay, just call me Mystogan then." He tells you, and you nod in reply. You then wonder what he was about to tell you before you interrupted him.

"Well, I've been meaning to say this... They say you're the most emotionless, but I don't think so." Oh, so he noticed how you behaved around him. Awkward.

"Maybe I'm only like that when I'm with you." You say, suddenly feeling courageous. Oh, how you were so going to regret doing this later.

Mystogan suddenly gulps. You noticed because you were still looking at him. He broke eye contact with you, probably feeling flustered. You were too, but you didn't want him to realize, so you stayed emotionless.

"O-oh," That's all Mystogan managed to say, he was still flustered and you didn't want to force him to respond to you either.

You laugh at how he's acting. "Well, Mystogan, see you." You were just about to stand up fully, your butt was already off the ground but Mystogan suddenly tugged your hand towards him. Given that he was still sitting, him pulling your hand made you sit again.

"I'm only like this when I'm with you too." He confesses in the most sincere voice you've heard from him. You weren't able to fully understand his emotions because of the mask covering his face, but you knew he was sincere.

You force yourself not to bite your lips even though you wanted to do it so badly. You didn't want to embarrass yourself more in front of him after all.