Chapter 22: Back in Action

Andrew Beckett had taken many risks in the past. He had shot his target right in front of a kid. The risk was not hitting the kid. The real risk was giving the kid permanent trauma. Especially, because the man was the man was the kid's father.

He was in his car, driving to wherever his car takes him. He decided to sleep in his car for the night. Then the next morning, he will need to get a new pair of pants and T-shirts or shirts or whatever was available. He was looking back at what all had happened back at the house where he took a light shower. The woman's name was Ava Connelly.

He made sure to remember not to leave any traces behind. He risked it by opening the door himself. The bathroom door was not a problem for him nor was the bathroom. He had cleaned the blood that was on the sink and the ground. The T-shirt was still covered around his leg, to stop from an infection not that it wouldn't get infected soon because it will. The bullet was still inside him.

He went through different possibilities on what would happen tomorrow reflecting his actions today. Ava might call the police or she might just leave it be considering nothing had happened to her. Those were the biggest things that might happen the next morning or this night. Another thing is that she might call him. He had given her a card which is one of his identities. Ronnie. That what he said his name was. On the business card, it was Ronnie Marie Duane. Not a very common name. The chances of this name showing on criminal databases were very low. Especially with someone with the first name as Ronnie, which is a name common for dogs and Marie Duane which he was pretty sure sounded like a female name.

Even if she does call him, the number would go to a television helpline number in Honduras. It would be impossible to trace him with that. The fingerprints on the card were another problem. But he wasn't worried about it because his fingerprints would get overlapped by her prints, that is if she still has the card with her. Most people would throw the card away right away, but something tells him that she isn't going to be like most people in this situation.

She had said that she did believe the person going to be arrested by the police was innocent. He believed it too. He knew the man was innocent. He isn't going to let a man be incarcerated for a crime he did not commit.

That was when something she said came to his mind. He didn't pay much attention to it before but she said, 'was supposed to be arrested'. He thought of things, he placed them together and the only plausible thing was he ran. But in his field of work, the people who ran were always guilty. Maybe what she believed was wrong.

He kept on driving; he came to a halt a parking lot behind a supermarket. He parked the car and reclined his seat all the way back. He checked the time and noticed that it was very late. He closed his eyes and dozed off.

He slept for four hours before he woke up to the tapping noise on the window. He stretched out his neck, looking left and right before scratching his eyes and reclining his chair up. He ruffled his hair and brought down the windows. Outside was a man, who looked to be in his 40's and not taller than 5'8. He squinted his eyes and looked, groggy from the sleep. It was almost sunrise; the little hue of orange was seen in the far distance.

The man was wearing a Red sox T-shirt with a cap of the same team. The man looked very confident and kept moving his mouth silently.

"Who are you?" Andrew said, yawning slightly.

"5190.ext." The man said.

This caught him off guard. He quickly got out of the car, making the man go a bit backwards. 5190.ext was his operational mission call code. Wherever and whenever, there was mission, he used to get a call on his agency cell. The only words spoken were 5190.ext. He was suspicious. He was suspended and there was no way he would get a mission now. He kept his hand on the handle of his gun in his pocket.