Chapter 11: The Innocent

The Motel was named Norway Motel. It was a pretty bad name to put for a motel. People come to the USA and try to find a place to say, they don't search in Norway Motel. People don't drive around trying to find a place to stay. They browse the web. That is what everyone does. Berk also does the same. Not from his own phone though. He goes to an internet café and searches from the computer there. He does own a phone. He uses one for a while, then dumps it. The FBI can track it.

The interior of the motel room was normal. There was nothing fancy there. Berk didn't mind neither. He adapts to his surroundings. He has to. The size of the room is about four, - fifty square feet prison cells put together to form a big square. There were twin beds, even though he only needed one. That was the last room available, the day he booked in to the place.

The bathroom on the other hand was the size of a single prison cell. The toilet paper was almost about to finish. There also was a TV. It was a twenty-five-inch TV with the name multistar engraved on the bottom of the screen.

Berk hung his keys on the coat hanger as he came in. He removed his blazer and placed it on a single chair, lying on the far corner of the room. He saw the TV remote on the already made bed. He picked it up and pressed the power button. The TV turned on, first showing a Big Multistar and its logo lit up in the center. The TV program that came up was the news. He didn't like to watch it, but he would just in case if there is anything for him.

The news lady was talking about how the UN is dealing with the Human rights violation in some countries. Berk was in favor of the constitution in some aspects. He really liked the idea of civilian arrests. An arrest can be made by a civilian, but they have to report to the police immediately. Otherwise it's illegal. That is what he hated about that. He liked to do things his way. Before, no. Now, yes.

He didn't agree with some of the things the news lady said so he was about to turn the TV off. As he was turning it off, the subject changed from sports to crime.

"There have been rumors about the murder of Director William Finch." The news lady said. "Today the police department of LA, Santa Monica confirmed this and said there is going to be an arrest made soon. Possibly tomorrow."

Berk sat on the bed with only his pants on. He was listening to it.

"William Finch was murdered at his own house. The body was first seen by his assistant, according to Detective Valarie Miller." Continued the woman on TV. "The police say's that the award-winning director was murdered last midnight."

Berk got comfortable. He felt something was off.

The woman continued, "The murder weapon had fingerprints on them and blood was found on of the belonging of the suspect. The photo of the suspect has been released earlier this night."

They showed a photo on the screen which Berk studied. It had the name, Christopher Martin underneath the photo. The photo wasn't an official photo taken by the police department. It was taken from a mobile phone. He understood this because the pixels weren't exactly good.

"Now we have a word from the Detective in charge of the case, Valarie Miller." The news lady said.

Berk didn't get up. He wanted to know more. He felt that something wasn't right.

"The death was very unexpected and will hurt each and every one of us." The detective on TV said.

Berk wasn't buying it. It was textbook. When a person dies, being sympathetic is what everyone is supposed to do, even if they didn't mean it. The detective on TV certainly didn't mean it, thought Berk.