Chapter 16: Betrayed and Dead

Detective Valarie Miller reached home. It was the worst day for her till date. The suspect was gone. Her suspect. The moon was lit positively but that is only for the god of the night. It was tiring, nerve racking. It was everything for her. everything that could ruin her life. This was not what she had wanted nineteen hours ago. Luck on her side. A suspect who was at the wrong place at the wrong time, wrong day, wrong situation. She often had thoughts about what she was doing. But in the end, it always came to the same three words.

For my son......

The door was already opened. Shit! I don't think I closed the door today, she thought while inhaling the air through her teeth.

She entered slowly with heavy steps. The door creaked as she opened it completely. She was checking for thieves or anyone who might have entered.

"No one's here." Valarie Miller jumped at the voice.

It was Tommy.

"I need the car gone." Tommy spoke clearly with authority in his voice.

"Why?" She asked.

"I don't want anything else related to the murder here. That includes the car." Tommy explained

"I won't do that." She said.

"Then I will." With that he turned his back and walked out. Valarie opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. She slumped back in the sofa thinking what had happened.

She freshened up and had a change of clothes. She walked over to the kitchen and took a can of beer. She opened the top and chugged half of it down. She closed the door of the fridge and walked over to the sofa and sat down, the half empty can of beer still in her hand. She took another sip and set it down on the coffee table.

The doorbell rang and she got up and went there to check who it was. She opened the door.

"God, if it's a salesman I will kill myself. I swear that...." she trailed off muttering to herself until she saw who it was.

Detective Boyle.

"W...what are you doing here?" She stammered unknowingly.

"May I come in?" Boyle asked politely.

"Y...yeah." She stammered again, Plastering a huge fake smile.

She moved out of the way and gestured for him to enter. He did just so. As he entered, Valarie saw him looking around the place. It was the visitor for her in a long time other than the very own Joseph O'day who was manipulated by their words in to murdering William Finch for them. The reason for the lack of visitors was pretty obvious for her. she never invited anyone in and if anyone did come to her house, she would make up fake excuses like that it there is leak or that there was a pest manifestation. She could have done the same here. She should have, yet she couldn't. All kinds of thoughts raced through his mind. Why is he here? Did he see him?

She saw him take a seat and look around the place one last time with his eyes and finally landed them on her. She stared at him back without uttering a single word.

"Sit down, come on quit staring at me." Boyle said jokingly.

She shook her head and exhaled the large amount of breath she did not she was holding in. She walked over and sat down leaving space between them to talk and for personal reasons. She inhaled and exhaled a large amount of breath once more.