Chapter 7: Inside Job

The woman was in her house with Tommy. They both ate some leftovers from the fridge and watched some tv. Tommy was not having it. He wanted a guy to be caught for the murder of William Finch. He wanted to lose the tension of an ongoing investigation quickly. He was still confident they wouldn't get caught. He had something other killers rarely have. He got up from where he was sitting and turned the television off.

"Is a guy caught?" Tommy asked.

"Sooner rather than later." Replied the woman.

"Any one in particular?"

"Some guy named Kit."

"How sure are we?"

"Luck. We need luck."

Tommy said nothing.

"What?" The woman asked.

"You have any idea if we get caught?"

"It was your idea in the first place."

"Then why did you help me?"

"You know why."

He said nothing.

"Why did you do it, three years ago?" The woman asked.

"You know why?"

"Tell me again."

"I was stupid, angry and had a heart that wanted vengence. I still do. There was nothing important to me that day, but that was important, important to me. It could have changed my life. Two people took it from me."

She received a call. She looked in to it and saw who was calling.

"Hello?" The woman spoke in to the phone.

There was a pause.

"I'll be there." The woman hung up the phone and kept it back in her pocket.

"I need to go." The woman spoke to Tommy.

"Next time I see you, I need to hear of an arrest."

She didn't say anything and left.

***

Detective Valarie Miller was in her squad car. She was on her way to collect the forensic report. They say they have done the separation of overlapped fingerprints. There needs to be a match in the criminal database or the cops need to act like chickens running around before the investigation gets handed over to the next unit. Detective Miller definitely wanted this case to be hers.

The laboratory was not distant from the precinct or her house. After reaching her destination, she got out of the squad car and entered the building. The guy at the front desk was in a suit. The others roaming around the lobby were in white coats, some had masks and everything else people at a laboratory generally would have. She was familiar with this place, a great detective. Highly respected. She had to kill some people to earn their respect.

She walked over to the elevator. Before that she was stopped by a security guard. She had to show her badge to enter. She got in the elevator and pressed second floor. The elevator went up. As she got out at the second floor another woman entered. A forensic scientist. Figured Valarie Miller. She walked to the end of the lobby and entered a laboratory. There were only two people there. One she recognized was at the crime scene. Other on was new to her.

"You got the prints." Detective Miller asked.

"Yeah." One of them replied.

"Turn the device on."