27 ~ Camp Stories 2

Start from the beginning

"I didn't almost kill you," Shawn mumbles. I look back at Chase who just shrugs. He doesn't know either.

"Oh right our father you almost killed," Zach corrects.

"He deserved it," Shawn shrugs, taking a few chips.

"Actually he deserves death. Should've finished the job," Zach says. Shawn laughs and they fist bump.

"Well explain the story! None of us know it," Dylan exclaims. We are all intrigued.

"Alright alright. This was when I was 15 so about almost 3 years ago," Shawn clears his throat before starting.

Shawn's POV - Three Years and 6 Months Ago

"This is bullshit! You're really marrying that asshole!" I shout at my mother. She rolls her eyes while watching the dishes.

"Shawn, I didn't ask. He's going to help us pay the bills. He's a nice man, be nice," she assures.

"Firstly he's a fucking drug dealer-"

"Language!" She scolds.

"Whatever. And he isn't nice," I mutter.

"Yes he is," she lies.

"Tell that to your bruises. If he touches you again, I won't be responsible for my actions!" I yell as I walk out of the kitchen.

"Him and his son are coming over tonight! Be ready by 6," she yells back. I run down the hall and head straight to my mom's room. As I do every week.

I rummage through her drawers, under her bed, pillow cases, clothing before heading to the bathroom and flushing all her pills I found. She tells me she's going to get clean but every fucking time I found more and more pills or powder. She's an addict. And her so-called fiancé and previous boyfriends have made everything worse.

I head to my own room and open the window. I climb out and jump down three feet. I do what I do everytime I'm mad. Go for a run. I head straight to an empty park where I like to clear my head. No one ever comes here. I end up sitting on the swing longer than anticipated. I get up and start my run back as I'm already late for dinner.

I walk into the house and straight to the kitchen where everyone is already eating. My mom, Dale and his son Zach. "Shawn! You're late, take a seat," she seethes. I roll my eyes taking a seat in the only free chair next to Zach. Zach has a black eye. Probably his dad. I dish out some pasta on my plate but barely eat any. This is the one time she actually cooked. Every other time I'm searching the house for change, just to afford a pack of instant noodles for myself. My mom spends all the money she gets on drugs.

"So we have to tell you something we've been hiding. As you know we are getting married but we need to tell you the truth. Shawn, this is your father," she explains. My eyes widen at the newly found information.

"So I was right. My father is a deadbeat," I mutter under my breath.

"Hey! Don't talk to your dad like that boy!" Dale scolds. I roll my eyes and get up from my seat. I walk out of the kitchen and to my room. I sit on my bed but feel something odd under the covers. I get up and lift my planner revealing a bag of pills. She's doing drugs in my fucking bed again! I curse under my breath and pick up the bags of pills. I immediately put it in my pocket when I hear the door open. I turn around seeing Zach.

"Hey," he mumbles, walking in and closing the door.

"Why're you in here?" I question.

"I was told to come in here," he explains. I run to the door and press my ear against it.