F O R T Y N I N E

Start from the beginning

Once we're on the open road, he places his hand on my knee, and gives it a gentle squeeze. My heart jumps and I look at him.

"You look so beautiful." He says.

I giggle shyly. "So do you." I mumble, my cheeks burning.

I can see him smile from his side profile. He clears his throat and puts his hand back on the steering wheel.

Something is different about him. He seems so much more open and comfortable. Like a normal person is the only way I can put it.

Just as I was in deep thought, he speaks, pulling me out of it.

"So, you were with your friends today?" He asks, his tone slightly more deep than usual.

"Yeah." I mumble.

"Just those two?"

"Uh, yeah." I reply nervously.

"Okay." He retorts bluntly.

There's silence for a few seconds.

"Does that bother you?" I build the courage to ask. And I regret it immediately.

He turns his head and his eyes are dark, burning into me. But they soften almost as quick.

"You're allowed friends, Willow. I trust you." He says hesitantly, turning his attention back to the road.

"I'm glad." I reply.

"I can't deny that it does make me feel slightly uncomfortable. But that's natural, especially for me." He adds.

"I understand. But as long as you trust me, that's all that matters." I reassure him, reaching my hand to his.

He quickly turns his head to me, his eyes shocked at the touch.

We've had many intimate moments, but it still seems to take him by surprise. He's a hard one to crack. But I can see progress. Slowly, but surely, he's starting to open up.

He gives me a weak smile, and turns his head back. I let go and sit back into my seat, the car going silent once again.

Very shortly after, we reach Jin's house. I grab my bag, and my door swings open.

I look out, and Jin stands tall in my view, his hand extended for me to take.

I place my hand in his and he helps me out of the car. Before I even have the chance to shut it, he wraps me in his arms and hugs me.

He breathes deeply into my neck, his grip getting tighter. I return his gesture, and let myself fall into his embrace.

Time slows. Everything washes away. Nothing but Jin and I, in this very moment exists anymore.

"I never want to be away from you again." He mumbles in my neck.

"Me either." I stifle a sob.

I dig my nails into his shirt, never wanting to let go. This last week was so difficult. It was mentally draining and I'd reached my limit. I needed this.

We let go, and I swear I spot a tear in his eye. But he turns around quickly, shutting the car door.

He grabs my hand and leads me inside. For once, we don't go straight to the bedroom. He takes me into the living room, and we sit on the couch.

"Are you hungry?" He asks, facing me.

"I could eat." I smile.

"I made some samgyeopsal earlier. It should still be warm." He says, getting up from the couch.

"That's pork belly, right?" I ask.

"Yes. You've been studying." He chuckles.

"I'm not just a pretty face." I joke, giggling.

"You're far more than just a pretty face." He retorts, walking back to the couch with two bowls.

"You're incredibly intelligent. Motivated, driven and ambitious." He says sincerely, passing me a bowl.

"And of course..." he trails off, placing his hand on my cheek, drawing closer to my face.

"Irresistibly beautiful." He finishes, planting a quick, yet loving peck on my lips.

My heart jumps for joy, my stomach doing somersaults at his words. My cheeks burn, my breathing heavy.

"You know exactly what to say, don't you?" I chuckle.

"It's an art-form I've mastered." He teases, pouring two glasses of red wine.

"Oh, so you've practised on others?" I frown.

He takes a sip of wine, exhaling quietly.

"Of course I have. I'm not innocent, Willow. But they were practise. You're the end goal." He says confidently.

I'm taken aback for a second. Is he implying I'm the last?

"What do you mean by that?" I ask hesitantly.

He purses his lips, and sets his glass down on the coffee table. His body language switches from laid back to stiff.

He stares down at the glass for a second, before he he looks directly in my eyes. The connection locks, and I can feel deep into his soul.

"I mean..." he begins. My stomach is in knots. My heart is going crazy.

"While you were away, I had a lot of time to think. I came to some conclusions, and realizations I didn't think were possible for me." His eyes are set onto mine, neither of us daring to look away.

"What were they?" I ask, my voice almost cracking.

"That I never want to lose you. The sheer thought of you being with anybody else but me is almost physically painful." He continues.

He grabs my hand, his warm fingers wrapping around mine. He licks his dry lips, and I can see him building courage to finish his sentence.

"And, that I think..." he exhales loudly, hesitating and swallowing hard.

"I love you." He breathes.