Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Tatiana

She didn't know what to expect when they arrived back at the house, but the first thing she did was seek Zeke out.

"He's not here." Words startled her out of her trance as she frantically searched for him. It was Vasily.

"He didn't come back?" It was useless to ask, but she couldn't help herself.

Vasily shook his head. "No," he said, then added, "Vincent just left to go looking for him."

"Don't bother." Keith stepped into the room after her. "I'm sure that wherever he is, he doesn't want to be found." Thankfully the guards stayed outside. She wasn't sure she'd be able to handle their presence in such a tight space already filled with tension

"But what if he's in danger—"

"Zeke knows how to handle himself, and if he is in any real danger, we can track him." Keith cut her off, the most words he has said to her since their way back from the café.

"So track him." Tatiana snapped, tired and frustrated with it all. "I need to talk to him."

"Not to be disrespectful, but," Keith began, not looking like he cared much. "I don't think he wants to talk to you right now."

Vasily raised an eyebrow at that. "Did I miss something?"

"No." Both Tatiana and Keith said at the same time. It seemed like neither of them wanted what had transpired that evening to be something of public knowledge.

Now, both of Vasily's eyebrows were raised. "Okay." He said, hands raised in surrender at the ferocious looks on both their faces. "I'll just go after Vincent then, let him know, and give you two some privacy to sort whatever shit storm you have." He added before slithering away from the room.

Soon, it was just the two of them. "Keith, I'm serious." Tatiana said. "I need to talk to him—explain, to him that nothing—"

"Stop," Keith raised a hand, stopping her short. "Explain all you want—explain 'til kingdom come for all I care—but you don't go looking for Zekeil when he does not want to be found. And trust me, he does not want to be found by anyone right now—least of all you."

She flinched back at that. He was right—Zeke probably hated her right now.

Keith raised his fingers and squeezed the bridge of his nose in stress. "Look." He sighed, looking at her. "I crossed the line saying all the shit I did. That's on me. Just—wait, okay? He'll be back, I'm sure of it."

She slowly sank down on the couch behind her, her hands to her head and nearly pulling the strands of her hair to the point of pain. She deserved it. "I hope you're right."

***

Tatiana didn't know how long she waited. It could've been seconds, minutes, or hours—it didn't matter, nor did she care.

All that mattered was that Zeke was not there.

She slowly dragged her eyes to the clock overhead. Three AM now. She slowly blinked. She'd been slumped against the living room couch for hours now, waiting for him.

After the talking down Keith gave her, he'd promptly left, leaving her alone with a maid and guards surrounding the house. The maid had dressed her in a long night gown. She picked the fabric in her hands, raising it to her eyes and looking at it—really look at it—for the first time since wearing it.

It was a peach silk with no wrinkles, incredibly soft against her skin. Or at least it would've been. She was too numb to really notice.

After a few moments, she glanced at the clock again. Four AM? Did the time really slip by her so fast that she didn't realize it? Her eyes were getting droopy now, her body screaming for rest and sleep, but her mind wouldn't let her. Too many thoughts and worries swirled around in her head, it was too much to sleep restfully.