Chapter 29: Ellie

Start from the beginning

"So tell me..." She leaned her butt against the counters and tucked her empty hand in her jean's pocket. "You brought the food, admitting defeat, so he had to have noticed something."

"He definitely... noticed." My cheeks warmed at the mental reminder of how Logan's forwardness had definitely squashed any of my efforts like the erection he'd smashed into my pelvis. "Now it's like some weird game where we each keep pushing each other's buttons."

Her eyes smiled at me over her wine glass. "About time someone pushed your buttons... Just saying. And I don't mean Seth."

I rolled my eyes because I'd already assured her, and indirectly Logan and Wes since they were also in the car ride back, that I'd only said yes to Seth's request for the UW student movies if we went in a group and as friends.

At my tight-lipped silence, Charlie's playful smile faded. She sounded genuinely concerned when she asked, "Did you tell Logan about your talk with Dr. Sterns?" When I shook my head, her lips pursed slightly. "Ellie, you have to tell him. At least about the date part."

"So, I brought your favorite." My eyes drifted over to the food containers on the counters. I'd made low-carb chicken enchiladas and a spinach salad with dried cranberries and walnuts before I'd gone to work. That way, they came over after practice, I caught the end of the pep rally, we all came back here, and I grabbed the pre-made food of shame.

"Nuh-uh, nice try." Charlie pulled her non-wine glass hand from her poken and shook her index finger at me. With a slight smirk and blue eyes still glued on mine, she belted out, "Logan!"

After a few shuffling sounds from the living room, Logan's tall frame filled the kitchen entrance. His eyes darted to the glass of wine near me, then shifted over to Charlie who, not coincidentally, wore a grin that put the Chesire cat to shame.

"Ask him." Charlie's eyes were on me but her head cocked at Logan. "Or I will."

"Fine," I muttered but dropped my eyes under the silent pressure from their eyes on me.

"I think Wes just pulled an ass muscle sitting on the sofa." Charlie pushed her butt off the counters and rushed out of the kitchen faster than I knew she was capable of moving. "I'd better go check on him."

The lingered weight I felt from Logan's curious eyes kept mine averted and I studied the wine in the glass like it was the most interesting thing I'd ever seen. In high school, while he'd asked me out and I'd declined but we'd hung out at my school events, technically we'd gone backwards and were boyfriend-girlfriend before our real first date.

This is really nerve-wracking.

I hadn't heard when Logan stepped forwards, but he slid the glass away, then put his thumb on my chin and guided my gaze up to his. My heart responded with the tap dance number it did in my chest from the soft tingles his contact left on my skin.

"Everything okay?" He asked softly, almost sweetly. His hand dropped but the sincerity that swam in his blue pools never wavered.

"This is so embarrassing..." My cheeks warmed to a temperature until I was fairly sure their color matched Charlie's wine, then I took a deep breath and pushed out in one loud exhale, "Loganwillyougoonadatewithme."

His only response was a few eye blinks. "Will I... what?"

"Dr. Sterns suggested that I needed to go... on some dates." I clasped my hands in my lap and squeezed them tightly. "To help connect better with people. So... will you... go on a date with me? Please?"

Shit, this is awkward.

He just stood there, with an absolutely blank look on his expression because, of all things, I'd mentioned Dr. Sterns.