Next day

Din Panah - Jalals chambers

A messenger from Khizr Khwaja Khan had arrived. He reported the latest happenings in Punjab to Jalal and Bairam Khan. It was bad news. Sikandar Shah Suri had stirred a rebellion. Khizr Khwaja Khan marched to Chamiari and sent 2.000 picked soldiers from there against Sikandar. After a bitter battle, Sikandar was able to defeat the Mughals. Khizr Khwaja Khan withdrew to Lahore again. Bairam Khan was furious! He had expected Khizr Khwaja Khan to keep the rebels at bay.

"What news," he yelled. "Why couldn't he win against these rebels?" His face was red with anger

The messenger looked embarrassed at the floor and remained silent.

"Do you have anything else to say?" Bairam Khan snapped at the messenger.

"No, huzoor." The frightened guard replied with lowered head. He feared being punished!

"Get out of my sight!" roared Bairam Khan. The messenger quickly left. Relieved he'd gotten off scot-free.

"Khan Baba, we can send Iskandar Khan to Lahore for support. He's not far away with his troops" said Jalal, looking at the map that was spread out on a table in front of him.

Bairam Khan looked at him in amazement and pride.

"You are right Jalal, a good decision."

"We send a messenger to him that he should march off immediately. I think we should also move to Lahore to finally ensure peace there."

Bairam Khan considered. A march to Punjab would indeed be a good opportunity to ensure peace there and to secure the external borders. He also saw it as a good opportunity to rise his influence on Jalal again.

"So be it Jalal! Guard! Get one of our messengers and call everyone to Diwan-I-Khas!"

"Ji, huzoor!" The guard hurried away.

Diwan-I-Khas

Jalal stood before his throne, next to him Bairam Khan, and looked over the assembled ministers and nobles. There was a tense silence among those present. They were surprised that Jalal wanted to speak and not Bairam Khan as previously. Expectant silence spread.

"Unfortunately, Khizr Khwaja Khan could not keep the rebels in check and was defeated by the rebels." Jalal called loud. There was a murmur of voices.

"We will send Iskandar Khan to support him. He and his troops are nearby." Approving calls could be heard.

"We have also decided to personally take action against the rebels. We will ensure peace in the Punjab and secure our external borders there. We will start preparations immediately and leave as soon as possible! Inshallah!"

After this announcement, those present were amazed by Jalal's unextpected occurence and chanted elated:

"Shahenshah Jalal-ud-din Muhammad zindabad! Shahenshah Jalal-ud-din Muhammad zindabad!"
Jalal stopped the calls with a raised hand and left Diwan-i-Khas. Surprised ministers and courtiers stayed behind.

Jalal's chambers

Jalal paced back and forth in his chamber. Was Fadhil able to safely deliver his message to Moti Bai? Would he get an answer? Soon they would be moving to Punjab. The preparations had already started. If Fadhil couldn't get back before they left for Punjab, he would have to leave a message for him to ride after him and report to him personally. His thoughts were interrupted when Abdul was announced.

"Salaam Abdul! What brings you here? Are you already preparing for our march?" asked Jalal.

"No Jalal, I don't have a lot to pack. But I have to tell you something! Because of all the events I'm only now come to it! "

"What's the matter?" Jalal asked, surprised at Abdul's serious tone.

"On the day you sent Fadhil to Amer, had Maham Anga call for me!"

"Badi Ammi?" asked Jalal astonished.

"Yes! She asked me why I gave a horse to a stranger."

"What did you answer her?" Jalal looked expectantly at Abdul.

"I had a bad feeling about this and told her that you wanted to bring something to your mahouts. I didn't mean to say that you sent Fadhil to Amer" replied Abdul.

"Why did you have a bad feeling?" Jalal asked attentively.

"I don't know, I can't tell. There was something about her that bothered me. Like you with Bairam Khan. I was probably wrong. I know how much she likes you."

Jalal remained silent and looked thoughtfully out the window. "Why was badi ammi interested in that I sended a messenger away?" he thought. He couldn't figure it out.

"She asked me if I wasn't wrong because the stranger rode off in a different direction. I told her that you only gave me the order to give the man a horse" continued Abdul.

"Then she found out that the messenger had ridden in a different direction" Jalal concluded.
"Did she ask you anything else?"

"No, after that she sent me away. But she didn't seem satisfied."

"Besides you, Khan Baba and badi ammi are the people I trust most," he said quietly. "I don't know what to make of it!" he said helplessly in a sad tone. "What if I can no longer trust them either?" he muttered to himself.

Abdul didn't know what to say. He could still remember the conversation when Jalal had told him that he couldn't trust anyone.

"If no one is to find out when you want to send messengers, you must be more careful in the future" he said at last.

"You are probably right, Abdul" he said softly.

After a little silence suddenly his mood changed.

"Let's go to the elephants!" he exclaimed. "One more little elephant fight before we go" he said with shining eyes.

To be continued...