Ch. 52 Explanation (Kevin/Todrick)

Start from the beginning

"Well, that's good to hear."

"And speaking of powers and how they work~..." Todrick trailed off, nudging Kevin in the shoulder and Kevin playfully rolled his eyes.

"Alright. What do you wanna know?"

"Um... well firstly, what does it feel like when you use your super smarts? Do you feel anything specific or does it change every time? Can you control how much you want to know about or is it unexpected every time? Can you only learn a little bit about something or do you instantly know the entire history of it?"

"All great questions." Kevin told him with a laugh. "Okay, let me see. How does it feel when I use my super smarts? I guess the easiest way to explain it is... it feels like common sense? Like how everyone should know not to leave the house without clothes on."

"So you don't feel like you've learned anything new?"

"No, it just feels like I'm remembering something I learned a while ago. Or when someone tells you a fact that you already know about."

"Huh, that's actually really interesting." Kirstie said with a smile.

"Do you have any control over how much you want to know?" Todrick wondered.

"I think it depends on the situation," Kevin told them. "For example, I know that in an emergency, a crayon can burn brightly for about 15 to 30 minutes. But I know this because crayons are made from paraffin wax and non-toxic color pigments, and paraffin wax is a substance derived from wood, coal, or petroleum, which are all flammable, and I can determine how long it burns based on the size of the crayon."

"That's great and all but there's one thing you haven't factored." Kirstie cut in.

"What's that?"

"There's no way you can know what a crayon defines as an emergency."

"A crayon's an inanimate object, it can't-" He started, but Todrick cut him off.

"No, Kev, she's making a joke."

"Oh... oh, right." He gave a soft chuckle. "Sorry, I guess that's a downside to having super smarts. Sometimes my brainpower makes me take things literally."

"Good thing I'm here, right?"

"Yeah, thank God. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Definitely get into a lot more awkward situations." Todrick teased, and Kevin playfully rolled his eyes.

Kirstie chuckled and asked, "Hey, how long have you two known each other and been friends?"

"Well, that's two different answers." Kevin told her.

"What do you mean?"

"When we first met, I couldn't stand him." Todrick explained, and Kirstie's jaw dropped.

"What?! But you two are such good friends!" She gasped, opening the fridge and putting back the rest of the cheese.

"We are now, but back then, I hated his guts."

"Hey, Kirst. Whatcha makin'?" Avi asked, coming into the kitchen and washing his hands.

"I was thinking about making a sandwich, but now I wanna hear this story." She told him. "Apparently, when Kevin and Todrick first met they hated each other!"

"What? But they're such good friends!"

"I know, right!"

"Correction," Kevin cut in. "Todrick hated my guts. I was impartial about the whole thing."