Chapter Fifteen

Leo (Courage)

It's been three years, four months, and seventeen days since my father last spoke to me. I receive occasional missives from his secretary, a third-tier angel with the unoriginal name of Mary, but nothing from him directly.

Mary's an idiot. I'd say that my father fucked her brains out over the years, but she hardly had any to start with. If she didn't have such a nice ass, there'd be no use for her at all.

Her latest letter is simple.

Galaleo,

    Archangle Michael wants to no what is taking you so long. He expekts results.

It's not signed, but I recognize the curling letters and numerous spelling errors to be from Mary. To me, it makes no sense to have a secretary who can't spell to save her goddamn life. To my father, she's good enough in bed for her to be worth it. 

Plus, he gets off on the humiliation she experiences when people correct her mistakes. He's a true sadist, the man who shaped me into everything that I am. I aspire to be like him in every way, to make him proud.

The 'results' she's referring to could apply to many things, but I'm sure it's about the human's continued presence at this school. The mortal bane of my existence otherwise known as Willow.

For almost two months she's been sullying the air of Purgatory with her putrid human taint. I've flunked her on every assignment or test she's completed in my class, but it's not enough. Her other professors rave about her intellect and enthusiasm for the material, giving her near-perfect scores on everything her grubby hands touch. Grades here at PA are calculated on a cumulative basis, so even if she has to retake my class next year, she'll still have the grades to become a second-year student.

At this point, I'm failing her out of spite more than anything else. It's satisfying, watching her become more and more frustrated. She gets so angry, but she never says anything to me about it. She won't even glare at me or look at me at all. I'd like to see her crack, so I needle her as much as possible.

I need to get her alone again. In class, that slow fucking imbecile acts as her personal shadow, constantly following behind her. He's annoying and I have no respect for him, but I never push him too far. He knows things he shouldn't, and we have a deal. As long as he honors his end, I'll hold up mine.

Outside of class, the human's surrounded by her demon friends and my worthless sister. Cassandra. If I had a choice, she'd be slaughtered like our mother. Alas, fratricide is one of the few inexcusable offenses in Heaven. As much as I hate to admit my relation to the traitor, blood is one of the only things in this world that cannot lie.

I could give the human another detention. I need to find a reasonable justification for the punishment, however. PA doesn't allow for detentions to be given out freely, especially when the professor and student are from opposing realms.

A fist raps on the frame of my door. The wood is solid, allowing for thunks with each knock. It's my office hours, so I glance up expecting a student with a question. Instead, Manny's bulky frame fits the doorway.

"It's almost time, boss. You coming or what?"

The son of Archangel Uriel is dressed in what can only be described as a loincloth. It blends in with the color of his skin, making him appear as though he's naked. He's also wearing a green wig, the synthetic hair frizzy and wild.

"What in God's name are you supposed to be?"

It's Halloween, this must be his shitty attempt at a costume.

"I'm a sexy tree," Manny says. 

And I was right.

He holds his arms out, spinning in a circle to give me the full effect.