Chapter 3- Marriage?!

Start from the beginning

Those fucking priests! Fuckers!

"I cannot agree with this papa! I am not happy and I feel like a piece of jewelry being sold!" I went for a sorrowful look but it just came out indignant instead.

"I am not happy either, but I cannot do anything without angering too many important people. It's just an engagement proposal, if you are against it you won't have to follow through..." he gave me a warm look and took my hand.

Pissed, I shoved it out and looked away. No way you going to be forgiven with just sweet tunes! Ah! Now I understand the candy, it is a bribe! Not on my watch Gobbie.

"Lulu!" Warned Jenni concerned, leaning forward to try to have me look at her.

No! I refuse!

"Just give me some time and I may find a way to have you out of it... until then you have to accept the proposal." He said now trying his sad eyes. "I promise my daughter, they would not have the last word on this matter!!" he leaned forward, poking me gently in the arm. 

It was not exactly what I had wanted, but at least we moved forward, so I turned to him and grinned.

"I just want to live with Gobbie forever!!" The biggest bullshit I said, but he would buy it.

They both started to laugh, happy to have me in a better mood. The only problem was when the Duke stopped immediately after, having remembered something... this gave shivers.

There is more shitttttt??

"Ah regarding the candidate... he is coming in some weeks to visit the capital and to officially extend his proposal to me." He said severely, his icy eyes icier than the usual.

Great... I would have to meet him as well... at least Gobbie was on my side against this attack on my person and if there was something I could rely on was in his dislike over an idiot trying to take his daughters from him.

The rest of the tea time was passed with us preparing for the arrival of the idiot who thought it was a good idea to try to get engaged to me... since it was not a pleasant topic I snoozed most of it.

Soon came time for dinner and me and Jenni got up to leave, as we needed to prepare ourselves for it. 

Yawning on my way to the door I got awoken instantly by the icy voice from the Duke.

"Lucreatia stay a little more. I have something to discuss with you."

I gave a pleading look to Jenni but before she could do anything she was dragged outside by the maids who were in rush to prepare us to have dinner. Without support, I turned slowly, now aware that I was in deep trouble... something I had forgotten because of that dammed proposal.

The duke just stared at me in silence for a couple of minutes, analyzing me with his ocean blue eyes. It unnerved me, and I almost would have preferred if he just punished me right away instead of him growing quiet.

"Do you have something to tell me Lucreatia?" He asked with his elbows on the table and hands crossed in front of his face. His favorite pose avoided giving away his expression but still showed those striking eyes, which did most of the talk anyway.

I let out a breath and went on with my plan, denial. Denial and denial. And more denial.

"I am not sure I understand what you are talking about papa." I used my best fake confused face and tried upping my charm.

The duke continued to look at me with those penetrating eyes, in silence and without moving a muscle. I did the same, though I was getting uncomfortable with all the stare-down going on.

"Very well." He said which made me giddy inside. I had escaped!

Without time to lose, I turned to the door, trying to leave the room as fast as possible.

Before, however, the duke had to ruin my mood with his final warning.

"It can be everyone except the princes. No matter which, just avoid connecting with those two." It sounded more like an exasperated remark than an actual warning, which struck me as odd.

I had my hand on the door handler, one more push and I would be out. Yet my brain short-circuited and instead of leaving I just turned around to face Gobbie.

It seems we need to have a talk, shitty Duke.

Well, Lulu let out her sailor self this chapter

Well, Lulu let out her sailor self this chapter. Sorry for that... Not sure you got it, but Lulu has a problem with control, she has to be always in control of her life, which is why she hates being a dependent child and this situation of the engagement is so frustrating for her. 

Also not sure if you understood the engagement system in the Sun Empire (tell me if you didn't), but it goes like this:

First- engagement proposal (only needs the parent's approval- normally done right after Second Blessing, but can be done before)

Second- engagement (needs the approval of the guy and the girl, plus a priest if they are minor- done normally after Second Blessing- but can be done before)- at the engagement the lady prepares herself to take the position next to her future husband.

Third- marriage (happens when they are adults and needs the approval of the Temple)

----//------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!