Chapter 6

The drive to the hospital was abruptly too short, or I really didn't know if my nerves had made it short. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Feel like it's too long? I think I was beginning to rave in my thoughts.

"Ready?" Asked the green-eyed girl next to me.

"No, but ..." I was silent to turn to look in the direction of the building that was in front of us "Wait ... Is this the appointment? Safe?" I asked terrified.

"Eh... yes, why?" Her face showed surprise, more than mine.

We were right in front of the Kendall Regional Hospital, one of the best and PRIVATE hospitals that Miami had. It specialized in stroke care, lung disease, cardiology, gastroenterology, and maternity. In addition, it was also recognized as the best hospital in Miami made for orthopedics.

How did you know this? At the time, I had looked for medical information for when the time came, and after so much searching, I reached the best ten hospitals in Miami, where the Kendall Regional Miami was included, therefore, not even in my wildest dreams could I afford a place like this, I couldn't afford it.

"I... I'm sorry Lauren, but I can't," I ventured to say. I couldn't accept this.

"Why not?" His eyes were wide open.

"Lauren..." I started "this hospital is private." I studied her expression, nothing. " It's too expensive for what I can afford." I bit the inside of my cheek, waiting for her to say something to me.

But she did not.

Instead, She unbuckles her seat belt so she can reach over to the glove box in front of me, open it, and pull out a folded paper to hand me. I took the paper with shaking hands, and a little muffled sob in my throat. I couldn't accept that and nothing and no one would make me change my mind.

"What is this?" My voice came out in a whisper.

"My dad said that you would say what you said about the hospital, therefore he gave me this to try to make you change your mind" she shrugged while she gave me a smile " will go out so you can read it calmly" and without further ado she got out of the car, leaving me completely confused.

Slowly unfold the page and notice that handwriting with perfect and delicate calligraphy. I started to read.

Dear Camila:

Having a child is the greatest gift a parent can have. I have my three treasures, those little monsters that at the time made me run after them and that to this day continue to draw green-gray hair from time to time. But they are my greatest pride, the reason why I try to be a better person.

Although this was not always the case, before meeting Clara she lived in London. My crazy years, that's what she calls them. I met this girl and thought I had fallen madly in love, but we only had a few months' romance. We finished for the peace and mental health of both, so many fights were wearing us down.

I returned to Miami with the firm conviction to start my own business, to settle down once and for all. Eleven months had passed when I met Clara and things just happened. Eight months later we were getting married and ten more with Lauren in my arms. As soon as I saw her, I knew that my life would be with her together with her mother.

Fifteen years later I get a letter from Suzanne, my ex-partner from London. In it, she said that she had become pregnant and that she did not expect anything from me, that she did not want money or anything like that, just that she knew about our son. Can you believe it? Because honestly as soon as I finish reading that letter I won't.

I contacted her, argued with her for not having told me before, and discovered that she was ill. Two years ago she had been diagnosed with cancer and she was in very bad shape. My son was quite a man by now. I tried to help them, but they didn't want anything from me. The worst happened.