Chapter Thirteen

Sanyo faced his brother curiously. He'd seen Keyvon around over the years, but it had always been with the awe of a young boy seeing something akin to a celebrity. Now he had the perspective of a younger brother. Did Keyvon even know about him? He doubted it. It seemed he'd been a pretty well guarded secret all these years.

"You okay, kid?" Keyvon asked him, noting the bruises forming on Sanyo's wrist and the exhaustion in every line of his body. Despite that, the kid was mostly feeling a strange mix of curiosity and indignation.

"Yeah. Thanks for asking. You're Keyvon, right?"

Keyvon smiled slightly and nodded.

"I'm Sanyo."

"Nice to meet you, Sanyo."

"What are you in for?"

"I'm accused of speaking to humans."

"Did you do it?"

Keyvon just shrugged. "What are you in for?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"Nope. Just got picked up by some guards being directed by the Sovereign several miles from here. I know my mom and I were running from him, but I'm not entirely sure why he locked us up."

"Hazard a guess?" Keyvon suggested.

"Perhaps my mom is being charged with kidnapping or something and the Sovereign wants to make sure I'm available for questioning."

"Charged for kidnapping who? You? I thought you said it's your mom?"

"She is my mom. But the Sovereign's my dad."

Keyvon felt the shock reverberate through him. He had a brother? "You know who I am, so you know what that makes us."

Sanyo nodded.

"Why didn't you just say so?"

"I wanted to see if you knew or not. Turns out you didn't."

Keyvon had always wanted a sibling or two. He hadn't realized how annoying it would be to have his wish come true. "How old are you?"

"Fifteen."

"Why didn't I know about you?"

"Nobody knows about me except my mom, our dad, and, now, us."

It was mind-boggling, to say the least. It did explain why the Sovereign had so easily tossed him aside. He had another heir. "You want to reign?"

Sanyo shrugged. "I just found out about my heritage today. I'm not sure what I think about it all yet."

"Well, just so you know, I don't."

"Why not?"

"I found my mate."

"Where is she?"

"Somewhere safe."

"Why?"

"Because she was taken by a human."

"Oh, right. Rave."

Keyvon frowned. "How do you know that name?"

"Mom told me the story of how she and the Sovereign were supposed to marry because he didn't think you'd ever come back. I guess you showing up threw a wrench is his plans, so he decided it would be easier just to off you."

"He should've talked to me first. I'm not planning to stay. Not without Rave."

"What's it like to find your mate? Mom never found hers. Obviously."