Chapter Ten

Mirek clasped his hands behind his back and paced back and forth, his mind in turmoil from the news he'd just received.

His son was back in the ocean.

He hadn't really been expecting it. Not when he'd been so sure Keyvon had left to find Rave because she was, presumably, the boy's mate. But there was no word on him bringing anyone with him and Mirek couldn't imagine the boy returning without her if she was who he'd expected her to be.

Perhaps they'd both been wrong.

"Sire?"

He turned to face his attendant, Chari, and raised an eyebrow in question.

"I heard the news. Should I return home?"

Mirek considered for a moment, then shook his head. "Stay. He'll find out sooner or later. Might as well be sooner." It was too late to take back the changes that were being put into play at that very moment. Too many people already knew. It was too late. The ceremony would go ahead as planned.

"But, I don't want to—" She stopped, the look on his face enough to silence her. She bowed her head. "Yes, sire."

"Back to work," he hissed, his displeasure more than a little obvious. He didn't want to go through with it anymore than she did. There was no longer a choice in the matter.

He had the entire future of his kingdom to consider and this...this was the only way available to him now. Even if Keyvon was returning to stay, if he'd fulfilled his duty and had executed the mermaid he'd been sent to find, it didn't change the fact that he would, most likely, be forever without a mate.

It was possible to bear children without one, but it wasn't common. Mirek doubted Keyvon would even be willing to try. No, not if his reaction to the women Mirek had been bringing home for him to meet for the past few years was any indication.

Why did his son have to be so stubborn? Mirek appreciated the strong moral core Keyvon displayed, but it was far too strong for him to be a proper Sovereign. Politics required more flexibility in a leader. One had to be willing to do whatever it took to keep things running smoothly, no matter the cost.

Keyvon wouldn't be willing to play the games required and that lack would be far too dangerous to the kingdom. No. No matter what Keyvon had returned for, he wouldn't be the next Sovereign.

Mirek would see to it.

420 Words