I'm Not Talking About This With You

Start from the beginning

Bucky freezes because they will need nurses. Lots of nurses and they'll probably take any woman, no matter how untrained they are. He knows that Lizzie is likely to be sent straight to Europe with all the training she has. Maybe even to the front lines.

Lizzie notices him freeze and realizes that she might have a chance.

"Didn't think about that, did you? If you go, then I'm going to follow you," Lizzie says.

Bucky knows that this is not a bluff. He knows she won't wait at home hoping he'll come back. Waiting around just isn't in her nature.

"Please, Ellie," Bucky begs.

He knows she has him right where she wants him. She knows that Europe will be the last place he'll want her.

"No, you're not going to change my mind on this Bucky," Lizzie says.

He walks up to her and cups her face in his hands and rests his forehead against hers.

"Ellie, you are my life. I don't know what I would do if you were hurt and I could've stopped it by fighting. Please, let me go so I can protect you," Bucky begs.

She closes her eyes and lets some tears leak out.

"You can protect me by staying here. I'm not going to change my mind. You are my life and I'm not allowing you to die for me," Lizzie says.

"I won't die if I have something back here to fight for," Bucky says.

Lizzie knows that this is a promise he can't keep. There is no way to know if he will survive this war if he goes.

Bucky knows that Lizzie won't cave. He hates it, but he knows he won't risk her enlisting.

"Okay, I'll stay but if I get drafted, there's nothing I'll be able to do," Bucky says.

Lizzie knows there is a possibility he could get drafted but that is not something she is willing to deal with now.

"You might not get drafted," Lizzie says.

"But if I do, I need you to promise me that you won't follow me. If I get drafted, it won't be my choice. If I agree to stay, you need to agree with this," Bucky says.

Lizzie thinks it over. She decides it's a decent compromise. It's incredibly unlikely that he will get drafted.

"Fine, if you get drafted, I'll let you go," she concedes.

They are both terrified about losing each other. They never thought that they would have to deal with a war in their lifetime.

Their biggest worries were supposed to be Lizzie's student loans, not Germany and Japan overtaking the world.

They cling onto each other that night, both terrified of the upcoming days.

In the coming months, Bucky would walk down to the draft board near his work everyday hoping that it was his number that was drawn.

He desperately wants to fight but he can't risk Lizzie following him.

Lizzie had taken a break from school. With a lot of the nurses going over seas, there was a shortage in the US.

Bucky was furious when she told him but when she explained that she got permission from the school to return as soon as the war was over, he calmed down.

They continued in this limbo for more than a full year.

On January 15th of 1942, Bucky got off work and made his daily walk to the draft boards. It was a habit at this point but he had lost hope overtime of ever getting called for service.

But when he walks up to the board, he sees a familiar number.

Bucky has just been drafted into the war.

He is ecstatic that he is able to fight without worrying about Lizzie following him but he doesn't want to tell her.

He almost wants Steve there with him so he can help soften the blow but he knows that's the coward's way out.

He needs to be a man and tell Ellie himself.

Bucky tries to think of how to break it to her the whole way home. When he gets to the door he realizes that he still doesn't know what to say to her.

He walks into the kitchen and sees her at the kitchen counter cutting some vegetables.

When she turns and sees him she gives him a radiant smile.

He doesn't smile back because he is focusing on remembering her face.

He's not stupid, there's a good chance that he might not make it back and he wants to remember every inch of her to carry with him for the rest of his days.

She must see something in his face because the smile drops and she steps away from him. He can hear the knife slip from her hands and clatter on the floor.

"No," she says in horror.

She doesn't know how she knows but she just knows.

"Ellie," he says.

She turns away from him.

"Please, don't say it," Lizzie begs.

If he doesn't say it, then it's not real. If he doesn't say it, then she doesn't have to deal with the fact that the love of her life might die.

She feels her knees start to get weak so she grips onto the counter.

He doesn't want to tell her but he knows he has to.

"Ellie, my number got called today," Bucky says.

Hearing it come out of his mouth confirms what she already knows. She collapses to the ground and begins crying in anguish.

He holds her in his arms and rocks her on the floor.

As she screams, he can't help but feel retched.

He hoped for this to happen, he prayed to get picked. He just didn't think through how devastated she would be.

He would get to fight to protect her but he may just ruin her by doing so.