Chapter 79 Brothers in arms

Start from the beginning

"Riders!" A call came from one of the scouts that was positioned near the western mountain range. "Stregare is coming!"

Cyrus whirled around. Of course he knew his father had sent a missive to lord Strega, but he hadn't been certain they would actually come. Cyrus had to admit he hadn't been fully sure of their loyalty. Kin or no, they were a powerful house and had most of the fleet under their command as well as a large territory on the Southwest of Zeir due to marriage ties.

It was a relief they had obeyed the king's call for help. They needed the numbers.

Cyrus made his way towards the edge of the camp so he could welcome the army of Stregare and direct their captain to the officers' tent. He was sure Darius had already gotten wind of the new arrivals and would meet them there.

When Cyrus saw the sheer size of the army however, he was taken aback for a moment. It wasn't only Stregare that had come. He saw banners for Astor and Moraye as well. Even some from Santos.

"Well met, prince Cyrus!" The commander of the troops dismounted and took off his helmet. Only then did Cyrus recognize Cassius Strega, heir of Stregare. "We bring reinforcements as you see."

Cyrus clasped his wrist and shook it. "They are most welcome. And not a moment too soon. Who are your captains? Please tell them to come with me to meet up with king Darius Tirzé. We have much to discuss and not much time to do it." He waved over a nearby soldier. "Direct our reinforcements to where they may set up camp."

"Yes, Your Highness," the soldier answered.

Cassius nodded and waved towards his troops. Four men rode forward. "My captains," Cassius said, "Theron from Astor with one-hundred and fifty men under his command. Antonius, who came under my brother's banner and brought two-hundred men from Moraye. My second in command, Ignisius. And I believe you are acquainted with lord Alcaeus di Santi?"

Cyrus nodded at Alcaeus. The man was a cousin of Ophelia and lived on the Santos estate. "Good to see you again. I am grateful for Santos' men."

Alcaeus smirked. "Santos couldn't stay behind. When we heard our neighbors were assembling, my lord wasted no time. He sent word to lord Quintus and we joined the party. A hundred men from Santos."

"And four hundred from Stregare here," Cassius added, "another hundred we sent North to join lord Iason at the fort. As requested."

"We thank you," Cyrus said as he preceded them towards the large officers' tent. Darius was already there.

"News from Byron," Darius announced as soon as Cyrus entered the tent.

"Are they holding up?" Cyrus asked.

Darius' eyes moved toward the men that had followed Cyrus into the tent and studied them curiously.

"King Darius," Cyrus introduced the men, "I bring lord Cassius Strega, heir of Stregare, and his second in command, Ignisius. They bring four hundred men. Antonius of Moraye, two hundred men. Theron from the Astor estate with one hundred and fifty. And lord Alcaeus di Santi from Santos with hundred men under his command."

"Your Majesty," the men all bowed.

"Another hundred are on our side of the border at the fort," Cyrus informed Darius, "Iolaus and Iason will come up with a strategy. With the added men they can close in on the enemy from behind." He paused. What news from Byron?"

"They are struggling to keep the enemy at bay. Balor is trying to cross into Tirèze through our North border. They need more men to close their ranks, so Balor won't slip through the cracks."