Hitt's Hill (#shower)

Lighting the fuse, Ray stepped back and watched it rapidly disintegrate. A large red flare shot into the night with a satisfying 'whoomp.' It disappeared for a moment high above the black waves of Lake Washington before it exploded, sending adrift a dazzling shower of red, white and blue sparks. As each speck of bright light extinguished into a wisp of black smoke, Ray swallowed the lump in his throat.

"What is it?" asked Willy who had walked silently with his brother down from Hitt's Hill, the site of their family's home and the business their father had started in 1905. Both men were spry for their 70's and had seen their share of life. But something bad had happened, and Willy waited patiently for Ray to spit it out.

"We're done for," said Ray, choking back tears. "The city finally gave me a tax bill I can't pay."

"Those louses!" declared Willy. "They've been threatening Daddy, God rest his soul, since the 1920's."

"After all he's done for the city, the military, Hollywood, and the good people of Seattle, it seems like such a crying shame," said Ray, now sobbing. He took another firework out from his back pocket and set it up on the beach. He handed the lighter to Willy so he could do the honors.

Willy grunted as he squatted down to light the fuse. The factory had actually been shuttered for nearly a decade even though Ray continued a small side-business on his own. City restrictions had tightened as the local population swelled and encroached upon Hitt's Hill. When their father had purchased the land at the turn of the century, Columbia City was a small bustling mill town with low taxes and cheap land. The site he chose was uninhabited and intentionally far from any neighbors.

"Does Gloria know?" asked Willy.

Ray shook his head 'no,' as tears continued to stream down his face. Though a middle-age woman, Ray's daughter had loved her grandfather fiercely. She would flip out when she heard Ray and Willy were going to be forced to sell the factory.

Willy knew he had to ask the tough question. "Ray," he asked as gently as he could, placing his hand on his brother's shoulder. "I can lend you money if it means you can keep the family house. For Gloria's sake."

Ray let his brother embrace him. "The house is ok Willy, but thank you for offering," cried Ray. "But Hitt Fireworks Company will be lost forever."

_______

Hitt Fireworks were internationally known for fireworks, firecrackers, and dazzling pyrotechnic shows. They created scenes in movies such as Gone With the Wind and All Quiet on the Western Front. During WWII they also created smoke screens to protect local military bases and other flares.