Chapter 13

Clary

This whole thing did not make sense, but all I know is that I told Jace to do what is best for his family. The result of this is that I am going to lose Jace forever since I told him to go through with the arranged marriage in order to save Uncle Stephen's company. Jace looked like he was in turmoil with the decision that he has to make, but I told him that I never had him and that we were ever meant to be. He looked shocked and hurt when I ran from him. I heard him running behind me up the stairs, but I ran into my room and closed the door. Then I heard him walking away. My heart is breaking, but there is nothing I can do. Morning came and I got ready for school. I left right away so that I did not have to ride with him. The school was the last place I wanted to be since my friends noticed my mood. Lunchtime came and I knew that I had to answer their questions. Of course, Izzy was the first one to pull me by my arm to a quiet corner where no one could overhear the conversation.

"Okay, Clary, what happened between you and Jace? You have been mopey and teary eye all day."

"It is over between Jace and me. He must marry the bank owner's daughter in order to save Uncle Stephen's company. I told him he needed to do it for his family's sake."

"Are you crazy? Why did you tell him to marry someone else when you love each other?" Maia asked looking carefully at my face to see my reactions.

"This will kill Uncle Stephen if he loses his company. The thought of it already has put him in the hospital. I cannot be selfish and tell Jace not to help his father."

"What is this I hear? Herondale is getting married to someone else?" Simon had a huge smile on his face while he is asking.

"Yes, Simon, but for a very important reason. Something you do not understand."

At this, Simon took my hand and pulled me out of the chair, while getting down on one knee.

"Marry me, Clary. I have been in love with you since we started our first year of middle school. Your dad just made me the manager of the restaurant and with the degree, I will be seeking, I can eventually open my own restaurant in the future. Marry me."

"Simon, I cannot. Please do not do this to me. Not now."

I looked up and saw that Jace was watching us. He looked angry and walked out of the lunchroom. My heart just shudders in my chest like it was breaking. I ran out of the lunchroom and out the front doors of the school. In a matter of fact, I kept running towards home until I could not run anymore. I ran up to my room and cried until sleep took me hours later.

Jace

My mind was only on the situation at hand, and I could not concentrate in any of my classes. I decided to get something to eat. When I walked in, I saw Simon on one knee and everyone around was watching the scene. It seems that Simon was proposing to Clary. Anger and jealousy ran through me and just as Clary looked up and connected with me, I walked out and to the parking lot. My mind was thinking of several things at a time, so I decided to get in my car and just drive without know where I was headed to. Just away from this and Clary. There was a park up ahead, so I pulled into a parking spot and turned off the car. All I kept seeing was the moment that I kissed Clary and that is all I wanted to do, taste her lips again. There was a path and I started to follow it which led to the stream. Maybe if I took a walk, it would help with clearing my mind. Just as I was reaching the stream, I saw someone standing at the edge, sobbing. It was Clary. My feet would not stop as I wanted, and I ended up standing next to her. When she felt someone next to her, she looked up and was surprised to see me.

"Jace, what are you doing here?" She asked me as she was wiping her eyes off her sleeve of the shirt she was wearing.

"I had a lot of things on my mind, started driving around, and ended up here. What are you doing here?"

"Same thing as you."

"So, I saw Simon on one knee holding your hand. Did he finally propose to you?"

"In a matter of fact, he did."

"Did you give him your answer?"

"I told him that I cannot, not now."

"So, does this mean you are thinking about it?

"Jace, right now, I do not know what I want. Anyway, why should you care since you are going to get married soon."

At this, I pushed her against the tree that was behind her and crushed my lips to hers. It was a desperate kiss, full of a lot of meanings. I loved her, I wanted her, I did not want to lose her, she was the one that I wanted. I know that I cannot because I have a duty to my family. This moment cherished and treasured because I will never be able to do this again. After what seems like hours of kissing, we pulled away to catch our breath. Clary just looked at me in surprise.

"What was that?"

"It is just a kiss."

"Jace, that was not just a kiss. You cannot kiss me like that if you are planning to go through with this arranged marriage. This is not fair to me. Goodbye Jace."

Clary started to run up the path while I stood there thinking, but by the time I ran to catch up to her, she was gone. There was no sight of her, so I got into my car and drove home. When I arrived, my phone rang, and it was Mr. James with the day and time that I was to meet my fiancé.

"Yes, Mr. James, I will be there tomorrow at eleven. How will I know is her?"

"I will be dropping her in front of the restaurant and the reservations are in your name."

"See you tomorrow, Mr. James."