Chapter 6

Clary

I walked to the bathroom and saw a crowd around the bulletin board and Jace was pushing his way to it. My feet had a mind of their own because I found myself pushing my way to get closer. Jace looked at me and then back at the bulletin board. When I looked up, there was another poster. This one was saying:

Clary Fairchild and Jace Herondale are no longer living together. Clary moved out after breaking up with Jace. 

Jace looked at me and I had tears running down my face. He looked really angry.

"If I find out who is putting these posters up, I am going to kill them."

I looked at him and ran to the ladies' room. There was nothing for me to do but cry. After I  let out all the tears that I was able to shed, I left school and went home. Dad came home and tried to console me, but I was inconsolable. He put his arms around me and asked me one question.

"Clary, do you really love this boy?"

"Yes, dad, since the first day I saw him at school. Now, I do not know if I ever will have a chance for him to return my love. I just cannot stop loving him."

"I promise you will have that chance."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Do not worry about it."

Jace

"Well Jace, I guess this is goodbye. We will probably bump into each other at school."

"Take care, Clary."

Clary and her dad moved out. She is gone and I do not know what I am feeling. There is a tightness in my chest that I do not understand where it is coming from. I went and sat on my bed and leaned my head against the wall trying to figure out what I was feeling. Something made me get up and I walked over to her room and stood in the middle of the room just looking at how empty it was without her. I walked back to my room and stood looking out the window when I felt someone standing behind me. It was my little brother Max. He was looking at me with a surprised look on his face. Then he spoke softly.

"Jace, you love Clary."

"Why are you saying that?"

"There are tears running down your face. I have never seen you act like this about any girl."

Then my brother turned and walked out of the room closing the door behind him. What is he talking about? I reached up and felt my face wet. He was right, there were tears on my face. What is wrong with me? Am I in love with Clary? Is this why I feel this pressure on my chest? I laid in her bed looking up at the ceiling and fell asleep. The next morning I woke up hugging her pillow. Her scent was on the pillow, freesias, and roses. The weekend passed and it was Monday again and time for school. I showered and dressed and went downstairs. Mom had breakfast ready but I was not in any mood to eat. In fact, I have not been able to eat all weekend. I grabbed my backpack and rushed to my car. The drive to school was quiet and lonely. Clary's image kept appearing in front of my eyes. I parked the car in my new usual spot at the back of the school. The hallways were full of students and as I passed by, kids were looking at me. This could just be my imagination. I saw Clary in the hall, but as soon as she saw me, she rushed off in the other direction. During lunch, her friends were sitting by themselves and Clary was nowhere in sight. She was definitely avoiding me.

Clary

It felt strange at school with everyone staring at me. The poster was gone, so someone took it off. I wonder if it was Jace. Speaking of which, he was coming down the hall at looked straight at me, I just turned my back and hurried the other way. I am going to keep to my word and avoid him as much as possible. Hopefully, I will not have any classes with him next term. When lunchtime came, I went to the roof to each my lunch. I did not want to be in the cafeteria where I might run into Jace. When school finished, I rushed home to avoid any of my friends. There were going to be lots of questions that I was not ready to answer right now. When I got home there was a note on the  door to meet my dad at the restaurant, so I went back out and walked to meet him. That is when he had a surprise that I did not expect.

"Hi dad, why did you want me to come here instead of at home?"

"Well, we are not going to live at the apartment."

"Wait, what are you talking about? Did you rent a house or something?"

"No, I had all of our things moved back to the Herondales. I think that you belong there, close to your Jace."

"What? Why would you do such a thing?"

"Clary, you have been miserable for weeks. You do not eat or sleep. Stephen told me that Jace has not eaten since we moved out. He thinks Jace misses you, a lot."

"No, that cannot be true. Jace hates me. There is no way that he misses me."

"Well, Stephen and Celine are waiting for you back at the Manor. I will be there as soon as I can."

I cannot believe what my father has done. How am I suppose to face Jace after everything that has happened these past few weeks? I took my time walking and finally arrived at the Herondales. I walked up to the front door and knocked. Celine opened the door with a huge smile on her face when she saw me. She pulled me into a hug.

"Clary, my sweet girl! I am so happy you and Val are back here where you belong."

"I am glad to be back. Thank you for having us."

I walked into the door to be greeted by uncle Stephen. Jace was sitting at the bottom of the stairs with Max. Max came and gave me a hug and walked upstairs. Jace came to me and stood in front of me just looking into my eyes.

"Welcome home, Clary."

Jace had a real smile on his face, not that pretend one he uses in front of the parents. He grabbed my backpack and my hand and pulled me up the stairs and to my room. I walked in and some of my things have been unpacked and placed where they belong. I turned around and Jace was watching me.

"I started unpacking for you so that you could at least be able to go to bed early."

"Thanks, Jace. I appreciate it. Listen, I am still going to keep my word about keeping my distance. I will not burden you with my pursuit of you or trying to have some kind of relationship with you."

"I will not have it any other way."