Chapter 9

Jace

School ended and I landed a summer job with my former football coach. He had quit his job to follow his dream of opening up a small resort and now I will be there working for the summer. I am not telling anyone where I am going to be working so that I can spend my time working and relaxing away from the family and Clary. I currently have feelings for her but I cannot pursue her because it will be a distraction for me. This is our senior year coming up and I have to concentrate on my entrance exam to the college I want to go to. I will be staying at the resort and have meals, so everything is going to work great. This weekend will be the beginning of my new job.

Celine

Jace thinks he is so smart, getting a summer job without telling anyone. He does not realize that Coach Webber and I went to school together and he told me about Jace's summer job. I will be sending Clary and Max to the resort as a vacation gift, but it is to get Clary close to Jace. The romance between the two of them is going to flourish if it is the last thing I do. Jace left this morning without a word to anyone, but he will be surprised when he realizes that I am one step ahead of him.

"Clary, I have made arrangements for you and Max to go to the Paradise Resort. The owner, Alan Webber, is a good friend of mine and is expecting the both of you there this afternoon."

"What about Jace, is he coming with us?"

"Jace is already on his way there. Apparently, he got a job there without telling us anything."

"You do not think he would be upset if Max and I show up?"

"I do not know, but you and Max are going there on vacation. You  dad and Stephen both have to work, so there really is not much for you kids to do here. Go pack your things because a car will be here in an hour to drive you there." 

Clary

My first vacation ever. This is going to be great even though I think Jace will not like this at all. I think that I will take advantage of the situation and see if Jace and I can spark some romance. With a name like Paradise Resort, romance can really blossom there. My selection of outfits was a careful one, packing outfits that I know Jace will like or he has seen on me and stared at me. I have that new two-piece bathing suit that I purchased for the pool. I know he would love it. The driver arrived and Max and I were on our way to the resort. I cannot wait to see Jace. I just hope that he is not too angry when he sees us. After a couple of hours, the driver pulled up in front of the resort and Jace came out to meet the car. When the driver opened the door and held his hand out to help me get out of the car, I saw Jace stiffen when he saw it was me.

"Clary, what are you and Max doing here?"

"Your mom is friends with Mr. Webber, the owner, and made arrangements for us to spend the summer here."

"Damn it! I forgot that they were friends and he would tell her about my summer job here. So much for getting away from everyone."

"Hey, bro, that was not a nice thing to say."

"No, Max, he is trying to stay away from me. Do not worry, Jace Herondale, I will be staying away from you. Come on, Max, let us go in and find our rooms."

I walked away from Jace and he stood there with his mouth open. Max and I got our rooms and settled in. Max wanted to go out and explore so I told him to go ahead because I wanted to go to the pool. Here it goes, the first step, in getting Jace in a romantic mood. I went and put on my bathing suit and put my hair up in a messy bun. Waterproof makeup was the best way to go since I was going to be at the pool. As I was walking to the pool, I saw Jace bringing towels to the guests by the pool. He spotted me and I acted like I did not see him. Jace kept watching me so I took off my shift and sat at the edge of the pool. He had his mouth open and his eyes got bigger. Next thing I know he came to me with a towel.

"Hey Clary, here is a towel."

"Thanks."

"Um, you look beautiful. I have never seen you in a bathing suit before."

"Again, thanks. I thought since it is my vacation I can just be myself."

"Well, it suits you. I have to go so I will see you later."

Jace

I saw a car pulling up in front of the resort and I ran out to greet the guest. The driver got out and ran around the car to open the door. He put his hand out to help the woman out of the car and it was Clary. I felt my body stiffen when I saw her. What is she doing here? Then my brother stepped out of the car too. Great, the two of them are here.

"Clary, what are you and Max doing here?"

"Your mom is friends with Mr. Webber, the owner, and made arrangements for us to spend the summer here."

"Damn it! I forgot that they were friends and he would tell her about my summer job here. So much for getting away from everyone."

"Hey, bro, that was not a nice thing to say."

"No, Max, he is trying to stay away from me. Do not worry, Jace Herondale, I will be staying away from you. Come on, Max, let us go in and find our rooms."

Clary and Max walked away from me without another word. Not only did I hurt Clary's feelings again, but also my brother's. This is going to be a great summer. I went to the linen closet to grab some towels and went around the pool handing out fresh towels to the guests when I saw Clary walking towards the pool in a lacy see-through shift. She walked over to one of the lounge chairs and pulled her shift off. I felt my mouth fall open and my pupils enlarge when I saw what she was wearing. She had a two-piece bathing suit in an emerald color almost the color of her eyes. She looks absolutely beautiful. This is the first time I have seen her this way and I want her like I never wanted anything in this world. Next thing I know I was walking towards her with a towel.

"Hey Clary, here is a towel."

"Thanks."

"Um, you look beautiful. I have never seen you in a bathing suit before."

"Again, thanks. I thought since it is my vacation I can just be myself."

"Well, it suits you. I have to go so I will see you later."

I had to walk away before I took her into my arms and kissed her. When I went back into the lobby, I ran into the men's room to throw water on my face. Jace, get a grip on yourself. You know you have plans and romance is not one of them.