Chapter 40

Marinette felt her dread increasing as she walked up the plank leading to Luka's houseboat, almost as if she were being forced off a real pirate ship plank into the vast deserted ocean with nobody around to rescue her for miles.  My thoughts may just be a bit melodramatic today, she thought to herself as she stepped onto the boat.  But, don't I have permission to be upset?  Luka's leaving.  She managed to stop her thoughts there and follow her nose down to the kitchen.  When she reached the bottom of the stairs, she realized no one knew she was there yet, so she made her presence known with a "Good morning!". 

Anarka turned around from where she was setting the table and smiled.  "Good mornin', Marinette! How're you farin' today?"

She could see that Marinette tried to plaster a smile on her face, but it didn't fool her.  Luka's mom walked over to her and put a hand on her shoulder.  "You're going to be okay.  I've seen how strong you are.  And there are these magical things these days called smartphones that can help you two stay close," she said, giving her a teasing smile.

"You're right.  But, I'll still wish he were staying here. Though, I don't. Not really. You know what I mean, don't you?" Marinette said quietly.

Anarka nodded her agreement and gestured for her to take a seat at the table.

"Oh, I forgot.  I brought some croissants to share," said Marinette, holding out a box to Anarka.

"Put them on the counter and I'll get a tray for them," said Anarka and she went to the cupboard and started rummaging through the unorganized piles of dishes and kitchen equipment.  "Aha!  I knew I'd find one!"  She then triumphantly set down a tray that was printed with all sorts of colorful electric and acoustic guitars.

Marinette took out the croissants and arranged them on the tray before returning to the table and setting them down.

"Marinette, you're early," said Luka as he came out of his room. 

"Am I?" she said as she turned toward him.  His hair was a bit damp from the shower and he wore his favorite Jagged Stone t-shirt and jeans.  She thought that he never looked better.  She walked over to him and he opened his arms to her, enveloping her in a warm hug.

"Fifteen minutes early, actually.  That may be a record for you."  He chuckled when she lightly poked at him in his ribs.  "I'm not complaining."

While she was reluctant to let him go, she had something she wanted to give him.  "I made something for you," she said and she opened her purse and took out a small wrapped package.  "Here."

Luka took the package from her and carefully unwrapped it.  Inside the paper was a slim black leather cord with two intertwined metal hearts on it.  "Did you make this?" he asked as he put it over his head.

Marinette nodded.  "One of the two hearts is a little wonky as I was having trouble bending it exactly the way that I wanted to.  I didn't want to overwork the metal as I was afraid it might break, which seems like it would have been bad luck."

"Thank you, Marinette," he said. He rubbed the two hearts gently between his fingers. "Now I'll always have something from you with me. It's perfect. I have something for you, too. Though, I have to say I didn't make it." He went back into his room and then came out with a box that he handed to her.

She took it from him and opened it.  Inside was a Jagged Stone World Tour t-shirt which she had designed.  She pulled it out and admired her work. "This turned out better than I imagined!" she said.

"Turn it over," said Luka.

She did and saw the full list of cities, in order, that the band would be visiting and the dates.