Chapter 19

Calandra sat on the couch in the apartment of someone she knew from college, looking at the photos she'd taken earlier on the rooftop. The couch served as a very uncomfortable, yet cheap and anonymous place to sleep while she was in Paris. She was getting very tired of her current arrangements, though. Marie probably was, too, she thought wryly. She'd had to stay there much longer than expected since Jagged had been so elusive. She was ready to move onto something better and the photos on the screen would provide that. But first she had to figure out how best to leverage what she had into what she wanted most: money.

She stared at the two groups of photos on her computer, trying to decide which ones to sell to the tabloid: Jagged Stone with his son, Luka, or the ones where she cropped Luka out. The photo of the two of them would be worth a lot and it would be guaranteed a full front page as it was big news- Jagged has a son! And, a daughter, too. Too bad all three of them weren't together when I was finally able to get my shot on the rooftop! If they had been, it would make this decision so much easier! She thought about her options. A photo of Jagged and just his son would definitely bring big money, but then all of the rest of those photographers outside would be tipped off and it would be more difficult to be the first one to get a shot of the daughter. If I keep the kid news to myself for now I would be the only one that knows to follow Luka and his sister- so no competition and I would be able to deliver more than one photo to the tabloid along with a story.

Calandra nodded. There was definitely more money to be made by keeping things to herself for now. And before she sent off the Jagged photo she would try to strike a deal for the photos she would soon be able to sell. She dragged the photos she had taken of Luka and Jagged into a folder to be saved for the future. This family was going to make her so rich!

- - -

When Luka climbed up the ladder from Marinette's room, he saw that Marinette was sitting on one of the chairs on her rooftop staring at a copy of some type of tabloid. He had texted that he would meet her there after school. He had needed a few minutes to get his thoughts together before seeing her so he hadn't walked her home.

"I didn't know you read those," he said as he sat down in the chair next to her.

She set the tabloid face down onto her lap and then turned to face him. "I don't usually but I saw this one at a kiosk on my way home and I had to get it. Look!" She held the tabloid up to show him.  

Luka stared at the huge cover photo of Jagged. "It seems like somebody finally found him. He'll be so disappointed. He was really enjoying annoying them by being impossible to photograph," said Luka with a chuckle.

Marinette turned the photo back towards her and examined it. "Monsieur Bourgeois won't be happy to find out that one of the paparazzi got into the hotel, though. He prides himself on protecting his guests from being photographed without their knowledge."

"It was taken inside? Can I see it again?" said Luka.

She handed him the copy. "Well, not inside but you can tell it was taken on the rooftop near the pool. See?" she said as she pointed to the chair that Jagged was sitting on.

Luka nodded. Marinette was right. He recognized the pool chair. He examined the photo more closely trying to tell whether it was taken when he was up there with Jagged, because that could mean trouble for him and Juleka. "Do you think that if a photo was taken yesterday it could end up in here today?"

"I have no idea," said Marinette, shrugging. "Why?"

"Because I was up there talking with Jagged yesterday. What if the photographer saw me and put two and two together?" said Luka.

"Wouldn't they have put a photo of the two of you in though because that is huge news?" said Marinette.

"Maybe," said Luka, wondering whether Marinette was right, but he was getting a bad feeling about it. He could feel Marinette looking at him in concern. He didn't want to worry her if it was nothing so he said "You're probably right. The photo of Jagged and me and the story that he has kids would probably be worth a lot. If the person took it they'd want to sell it." He put the tabloid on the table and tried to get his thoughts back in order for the reason he wanted to talk to her.

"So, as you know I saw Jagged yesterday. He wanted to talk to me about something and it's hard for me to tell you because we are finally together the way that I've wanted to be for awhile now and—"

"Luka, just tell me," said Marinette, starting to dread what he was going to say since it required such a big build up.

"I'm going on tour with Jagged," he said. He was expecting her to be upset but instead she jumped up and then landed on his lap, giving him a big hug. She then put her arms around his neck and smiled at him.

"You really are? That's amazing news! I'm so excited for you! I imagine that is a dream of yours. I know how much you admired his music even before you knew he was your father." Marinette studied his face and could see he was troubled. "So, what's wrong?"

"I'm going on tour which means I won't be here. With you," he said softly, his eyes gazing into hers.

"Oh," Marinette said, feeling pretty stupid that she didn't make the obvious connection. She quickly looked down when she could feel the tears that were starting to form. She didn't want him to see her cry. "I . . ." She stopped and took a breath to try to keep her voice from quavering, blinked back the tears, and then met his eyes. "When will you need to leave?" she asked.

"Next month. And I'll have to start rehearsing with Jagged and his band. I'm not sure what's going to happen with school, but it's . . ." He stopped as he could feel Marinette starting to shake. He pulled her closer and wrapped his arms around her and she buried her face in his neck.

"It's a chance of a lifetime," she whispered. "You have to do this. And, you'll get to spend time with your dad. It will be amazing."

"Yes," he said as he continued to hold her and rub her back soothingly. He hated that he was the one who made her cry this time.

After a few minutes, Marinette gave a little hiccup and sat up. "I got your shirt wet again," she said with a small laugh. "I don't suppose you have a dry one somewhere to put on?"

"No, but I think I'll survive. But, you won't be able to look at my chest this time then. Will you survive?" Luka teased.

"I wasn't looking at your chest!" Marinette objected.

Luka gave her a disbelieving look.

"Okay, maybe just one or two peeks . . ." she said, laughing. She then turned serious. "So, what are we going to do about us?"

"I'm hoping to get to spend as much time possible with you before I leave, as long as that's something you still want. And then, I guess it's really up to you and what you need," he said.

"I need you," she said softly.

Luka felt her words tug on his heart. "I need you, too. But, you may feel differently when I'm in another country and you're still doing everything you need to do here. You might fall in love with someone else or need someone who is here and able to support you," he said.

Marinette shook her head. "There isn't anyone else," she whispered.  "I don't think I want to talk about this now. Can we just leave it for later?"

"Yes," said Luka, happy not to think about it any more for the day either. He then gently caressed her neck and kissed her. She responded warmly to his kiss, allowing her senses to be taken over by his warmth and scent. She didn't want to think about anything but him.