Chapter 12

Later that afternoon Juleka was back on her bed again, looking through another fashion magazine determined to find some new trend that she would actually be willing to wear, since there had been nothing in the other magazine, when she heard her brother enter the room. He was humming the melody that Juleka now recognized after hearing it played at the recording studio. When she took a quick glance at Luka's face and saw the smile, she immediately sat up and threw the magazine on the end of the bed.

"I don't believe it!" exclaimed Juleka.

"You don't believe what?" asked Luka.

"She finally made up her mind and chose you, didn't she? I never believed that would happen and I was so worried that you would be hurt, but I suppose you can still be hurt now anyway." Juleka paused and then added "But, you're happy?"

Luka nodded. "Yes. I appreciate your concern but I know what I'm doing."

Juleka gave him a dubious look but then jumped off her bed to give him a hug. "Then, I'm happy for you!" She let him go and then sat back on her bed. "So, is this a secret thing or is everyone allowed to know?"

"We never really talked about it, but I think Marinette understands that I'm not interested in keeping it a secret. So, our friends can know though I'd appreciate you not letting everyone know at once. Can it just come out naturally?"

Juleka gave the tiniest of pouts as she had hoped to be the one to reveal it to their friends. She was hardly ever the one with news. "Okay, but only because I love you. Anyone else and I'd send off a quick text to the group. Can I at least bet you that in less than a day everyone will know anyway?"

Luka sighed. "I will make a note of it and say that you were right if by tomorrow at this time everyone knows."

"It's huge news- it'll travel fast. But, I promise not to help it along," said Juleka.

"Thank you," said Luka.

"Did Marinette manage to spend all of her time with you today rather than run off to rescue someone?" asked Juleka as she picked up the magazine and resumed flipping through it.

"What did you say?" asked Luka, strangely startled by Juleka's choice of words.

"You know, how we talked about how she often leaves in the middle of stuff, usually to help someone. Adrien even called her 'our everyday superhero' because she is always helping people. Did she do that today?" she asked.

"No, we spent the whole day together. We had fun- and ate too much. She really loves gelato."

"Mm," replied Juleka, her attention taken over by some woven bracelets being advertised. She wondered if she could make one herself rather than paying the exorbitant amount that was listed.

Realizing that he lost Juleka's attention- apparently his being together with Marinette was already old news- he picked up his guitar and carried it upstairs. He stood on the deck and started strumming, allowing his mind to wander. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a lot of yelling. He scanned the area and saw Ladybug and Cat Noir in the distance, battling some villain on the bridge. The villain threw something that looked like a bolt of lightning toward Cat Noir. The superhero easily bounded out of the way but a person behind him- maybe a man- who had been trying to run away got hit by the bolt and was hurled over the side of the bridge. Luka watched in horror as the man rapidly fell toward the river. The teenager gripped the railing of the boat with one hand wondering what he could do to help when he saw Ladybug use her yoyo. She threw it and the string wrapped around the man's legs, stopping his fall a few feet above the water, and then she pulled him back up to safety. She rescued him!