- thirty one

Donghyuck stares at the sky and wondered if anyone noticed how beautiful the sky was today, how the blue was bright and soft all at once. He wondered if they saw the serenity of the clouds that sailed by, gently passing on toward anyplace the wind wished them to reach.

He wondered if the people who had given up on life had ever thought about how breath-taking mother nature was, and if they ever thought of staying just for a while to have a look at them one last time.

"Where are we going?" Donghyuck asked, realizing that he was staring a little too long, forgetting about the male sitting next to him in a black cab. "Somewhere," he replied simply. When Donghyuck turned his gaze towards the boy, he found himself getting lost in how attractive the boy was.

The window was rolled down and the breezy spring wind came gushing into the vehicle, making his hair move towards the direction of the wind. The sun lit up his face and his smile was gleaming. Donghyuck smiled like an idiot upon seeing his sparkling brown eyes.

"W-why are you staring at me like that?" He stuttered, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the soft stare Donghyuck was giving. He loved it, but it felt weird.

"Oh- I'm sorry," he looked away. The giggles from the cab driver filled up the atmosphere. Donghyuck and Sungchan were confused, but little did they know that the driver was laughing at how shy they were towards each other, like a newlywed.

The cab halts to a stop in front of what looked like a souvenir store. "There you go," Sungchan gave the driver 5,000 won and both of them got out of the car at the same time.

"A beach!" Donghyuck jumped happily, pointing at the blue sea. Sungchan smiled at how cute his tiny jumps were, though the people walking by were giving him nasty stares, he didn't even mind.

"Let's go," Sungchan intertwined their hands together and pulled him closer. There were a lot of foreigners in bathing clothes and slippers walking past them. Donghyuck loved the smell of the air when he goes to the beach, it was a mysterious aroma but addicting. As if you can't help but go there back just for the breezy air.

"There must be a reason you brought me here," he said, sinking his feet in the sand. He listened to the sea kindling its symphony. Sungchan stood behind him, taking out a disposable camera and took a picture of Donghyuck. "Hey! You know it's a crime to take a picture of someone without their permission," he squinted his eyes when the sunlight shone at his face.

"There's no going back though," he chuckled, taking another picture. "Here sit down, I want to tell you something," the younger boy took a sit, moving away from the seashore. Donghyuck did the same and rested his head on his shoulder.

"This is where I would always go with my friend, Sicheng. We would always play a game together. He would bring a bag of candies and ask a stranger to hide it somewhere. The first person to find it would be peter pan, and the loser would be captain hook," he chuckled, reminiscing the old days. Whenever Sicheng found the bag of candies first, Sungchan would sulk and start chasing him around the beach, begging him for the candies. Sicheng would eventually give them to Sungchan whenever he gave him his cute puppy eyes.

"When did that stop?"

"When we couldn't find the bag and the stranger that hid the pouch was nowhere to be found,"

They came to the beach a little bit late but the sky was getting prettier every minute. The color red and orange soon conquering the sky, dispersing in the air and the glowing sun, a crisp circle in the bloody sky, illuminated a quivering path across the water. It bathed the ocean's meek waves and the wispy clouds in a burning red.

It was beautiful, Donghyuck thought. The sound of the waves, teenagers playing beach ball, and leaves bristling.

They both fell into a comforting silence, suddenly having nothing to say. They were engrossed by the beauty in front of them, not caring about the world. Both Sungchan and Donghyuck were in their own world, but they were still together. Foreigners and locals were suddenly gone and it was just them there, alone, enjoying the time of their lives.

"Look, a carnival!" A boy screamed from a distance, pulling Sungchan and Donghyuck out of their world. The sky was dark and the neon lights from the Ferris wheel lit up the night.

"Should we go to Myeongdong to get food?" He smiled at the boy, knowing that food could make him happy even on the saddest days. "Definitely!"

They both called for a cab, though it was a short drive there, it was still enjoyable. They requested a few songs to be put on and they sang together. It made Donghyuck think that the driver might've been annoyed but he wasn't. Before they got out, he told them that their life would be the best, seeing how free-spirited and energetic they were. The driver wished them a blessed life.

"The old man was nice," Donghyuck shrugged his shoulders and both of them chuckled. "Why wouldn't he be?" The taller boy asked, admiring his surrounding. There were lots of people tonight, teenagers, adults, college students, and so on.

"Most old man would look at us with disgust but he didn't. Look, churros!" He pointed at a yellow truck and pulled Sungchan there. The woman behind the vehicle smiled at both of them. "What would you like?"

"Um.. what flavors do you have?"

"Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, caramel, cookies n cream, and mocha," she yelled due to the noisy crowd while kneading dough. "What do you want?" The tan boy pulled his shirt, not taking his eyes off the lady. "I don't like churros, you can have them,"

"Oh- one cookie and cream churro please," the lady took one churro in a container and puts it in a paper bag. She handed it to Donghyuck and they paid for the food. They said thank you before leaving, and being the impatient person Donghyuck is, he ate it right away.

"Argh!" He spits it out on the ground, letting his tongue hang out of his mouth like a thirsty dog. "Donghyuck! Are you okay?" Sungchan puts his arm around his shoulders, looking at Donghyuck with wide eyes. "Its taste so... bad!" He jumps up to surprise the boy, launching at him with a big hug and laughed.

"Donghyuck what the-" Sungchan felt the pain on his shoulders when the tan boy hugged him. "Ah!" He caught the boy in time,

but not the churro.

Both of them looked at the food and turned their gaze towards each other. Giggles escaping from both of their mouths upon what had happened, throwing their heads back. "There goes my 3000 won," Sungchan pretended to wipe his tears with his money, frowning like a baby.

"Yeah yeah- I'll pay you back," Donghyuck slapped his arm gently, leaving the dirty churro on the floor.

"Aren't you gonna pick it up?" Sungchan pointed at the ground but soon picking them up and threw it in a bin.

"No more wasting okay," the younger snaked his arms around Donghyuck's shoulder, pulling him close to his body. "Yes mom I won't do it again, I'm sorry,"

( a/n : THANK U FOR 900 LOVELIES I LOVE YALL SO MUCH 😭)