Chapter 9

Uoiea's POV

I carefully shifted against my seat as I tried to understand what we were discussing. I lightly tugged down my skirt under the long white marbled table we are all seated in. The chillness of the room seeping deeper into my fake tanned skin.

Maglalabin- limang minuto na simula nung makarating ako at hindi ko alam kung saan nagtago ang pagod at antok na nararamdaman ko kanina. Nagising ang diwa ko lalo na nung mapagtanto kong nasa iisang kwarto ako kasama ang mga taong hindi ko naman dapat kasalamuha.

Katabi ko sa magkaparehong dulo ang iba pang class at club president. Habang nakaupo naman sa kabilang bahagi ng lamesa ang miyembro ng REP— kaharap namin.

Kasama ko ngayon ang mga taong madalas pag- usapan, laging minamata, at sentro ng spotlight sa buong akademiya— the kind of people I shouldn't be hanging with in the first place.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when a familiar voice spoke beside me.

"Third time's a charmer, right?" He faked a cough to hide his snicker, but his cocky tone immediately made my head boil. "I'm starting to think this isn't coincidence at all, Miss Righteous. Tell me, you're one of those crazy stalkers, aren't you?" I slowly turned my head towards his direction and gave him a glare. Wtf?

Paano ba 'to naging club president? Hindi ba aware ang mga bumoto sa kaniya na maluwang ang turnilyo nito sa utak? At sa dinamidami namin dito ay ba't hindi na lang iyong iba ang nakatabi ko? Maingat ako na lumingalinga at bahagyang nanlaki ang mata ko nang may iilang napatingin ng kakaiba sa akin. Iling at hilaw na ngiti na lang ang naipukol ko sa kanila.

As much as I wanted to avoid making unnecessary movements in order to conceal my presence, this dork just won't make it easy for me. He surely isn't helping to the feeling of discomfort I am currently having. I gave him one last glare and brought my attention back to the girl speaking in front.

May araw ka rin sa akin, Kaisun Lopez.

"We will inform you regarding the future plans for the school program. We'll also be the one to organise and set future meetings and the whereabouts. If you have a thing to do for now, that is to prepare yourselves to your role in the student government and condition your mind to act responsibly at all cost."

If the REP has a position for spokesperson, Miss De Guzman would definitely be it. Siya pa lang ang nagsasalita sa kanilang anim but there seems to be no complaint about that. Maybe they're already used to it. I do not have any objections, though. She could have the stage all she want.

Hindi maiwasan na maglakbay ang tingin ko sa lalaking katabi niya. Nakapalumbaba habang ang ibang daliri naman nito ay pinaikot- ikot ang panulat na hawak niya. Umayos siya nang upo at madaling napunta sa kaniya ang atensiyon nang tuktukin niya ang lamesa.

"Just to remind you, our top priority will be the students' refinement and the academy's advancement. In order to attain the objective, dedication and full cooperation will be needed from youeveryone should expect no less from each other." His broad monotonous voice filled the silence of the room. I saw how some members tensed as the atmosphere became heavy. An unfathomable sense creeped inside me. I quickly shove it away.

Expectations. A belief that someone will or should achieve something. A belief that something should be in a certain course of action. In one way or another, we've all felt the sensation of being expected to do a certain thing , or to behave in a specific way. Whether it might be inflicted by environment or the people around us, we—oftentimes— put it in ourselves without realizing.

He finally stood up and went to the edge of the table. I dropped my gaze once again when I recall that it's still not too long nang mahuli niya ako na nakatitig sa grupo nila. Kung totoo man ang mga naririnig ko na sinasabi ng mga estudyante tungkol sa hindi kaaya- ayang pag- uugali ng taong 'to, I'll be in deep crap dahil baka ako pa ang mapagtripan niya.

And besides, there is just something about being caught staring that's embarrassing.

"Meeting dismissed." That Salvador guy concluded. Mga animo'y zombie naman na nagsitayuan ang mga tao sa loob para lumabas.

I let out a small sigh of relief. So far, familiarity with each member and briefing tungkol sa kung paano magw- work ang merging ng student representatives at Rep ang agenda today. That's what I've been thankful for dahil kung nagplano lang kami para sa future events ngayon ay sigurado na wala akong maiaambag kung nagkataon.

I wore my bag as I rose from my seat, preparing to leave. The exhaustion I felt earlier from the punishment dawned to me again. Even my eyes began to feel heavy— my skin craving for a hot bath and my body seeking the warmth of my soft bed. I desperately want to go home.

Once again, my thoughts were interrupted when a hand grab me by my pulse.

"Hellwait, are you okay?" His enthusiastic voice was replaced with a perturbed one. I glance at his grip before looking straight at him and nod quietly. "School service." I said, not really wanting a conversation. I'm too tired to even react to his sudden approach.

Madrigal's expression change into something else once again. "Ah yeah, about that. Can you join us for a meal?" He said in a tone I can't quite point out as his eyes stare at me expectantly. It took me a few seconds before my mind processed what he just said. A meal? With them? Nakaramdam ako bigla ng inis. Kahit papaano sila pa rin ang rason sa sitwasyon ko ngayon— because of their irresponsibility. Hindi ba nila naisip na baka pagod ako? O baka gusto ko magpahinga? Nanatili ako na nakatingin sa kaniya.

"No." Is all I could manage to say. I peeled my feet off the floor as I left. Hindi ko na naisip ang pangalawang beses na pagtanggi ko sa isa sa tinitingalang panauhin ng mga estudyante.

I badly need to rest right now.

"Hey!"

I closed my eyes in apprehension. Don't turn around, just continue walking. The low squeals of students that I passed to indicates how fast he's approaching. I let out a sharp breath as I steely walked away with a closed fist, pretending not to hear anything.

"Hmm, I think that guy's after us...? Don't you think?" Aria's confused tone reminded me of her presence. I just remained silent and shushed her. She had her head turned around when I grabbed her newly tailored uniform and drag her with me forcefully. Yes, she is officially enrolled in the academy. I groaned in frustration when she began slowing me down.

It's none other than Mr. Charming, Jax Ian Madrigal. If you're wondering why is he going after a fake, ugly, newly diagnosed deaf nerd like me, the answer is I don't know.

Scratch that. Malamang meron akong idea. I'm pretty sure it's about that meal with them again. Ang hindi ko alam ay kung bakit kailangan ko pa umupo at kumain sa iisang hapagkainan kasama sila. As far as I could remember, we didn't have any connection again so it couldn't really be that important, right? I can't deny the fact that I'm also bothered about what he has to say to occupy his precious time to go through this. But I'm also savvy enough to recognise the fact that it will be like throwing myself— suppose to be white innocent sheep— to a lion's lair once I agree to that. Masiyado silang mainit sa mata ng nga tao dito and I can't afford to be subjected under it, too.

After what I've been through, it's really not hard for me now to think that a simple eye of jealousy could make a drastic turn to something else, something vicious.

Three days. I've been avoiding him for three days so he wouldn't catch even a glimpse of my supposed to be invisible self. That's what I thought, not untill his face was right in front of me.

"You seriously have to listen first." He said breathlessly. His eyes attentive out of adrenaline, so was mine. He finally looked at us with an expression which contradicted his jovial disposition. "As a member among the Representative of Elite Personas..." he paused. "Miss Uoiea Loreal, I suggest you come with me."

Maybe being in the student government isn't really a blessing in disguise, after all.