Chapter 7

Uoiea's POV

"That's all for today." Ma'am Val concluded as she turn to erase the writings on the white board. The room's once filled with low buzz of conversations, some sighing in relief. Surely, I am one of those in the latter part.

I closed my notebook at ipinasok iyon pabalik sa bag ko. It has been weeks since I first started to study in the academy and I am telling you, it is not getting easy. The professors are surely taking their time with us.

Nabalik ang atensiyon ko sa harap nang muling tumayo duon si Ma'am Valeen.

"May I remind you to elect your classroom officer as early as possible now. Sapat na rin naman siguro ang ilang weeks in order to decide kung sino sa tingin niyo ang deserving in these positions. They will be needed for future school programs, okay? I'll leave it to you." She bid her goodbye and left. I don't feel right about it, though.

Lumingon ako at pasimple na tumingin sa bandang likod. Ilang araw na rin simula nung una ko silang nakilala. Other than the incident with the frogs, I've never encountered them again. I guess they're not as biggy as these students branded them to be.

My eyes widen when I realized my gaze was met with someone else's. Shocks, I've literally spaced out!

Parang tinambol ang dibdib ko nang bigla itong tumayo sa pagkakaupo. I quickly looked back in front in hopes of dismissing what just happened. He wouldn't seriously think that I was measuring them in my head, right? Because that's literally what I did.

Nakahinga ako nang maluwang nang makita ko siya na palabas kasama ang mga kamiyembro niya. That Nataly girl announced that they have something to work on in their office. I am glad they did.

I honestly thought he was going to confront me, geez.

Hindi pa ako nakaka- recover when a student caught my eye. Nagtama ang paningin namin and a sly smile appeared on her wicked face as she made her way in front of the class. Napalitan ng inis ang kaba ko kanina. I mentally rolled my eyes.

Do what you want, Niana Alvarez. I don't give a damn.

I completely forgot what I was just thinking as I thought what kind of scheme she would pull again this time. During the days I have spent here, I found out how creative she is in making other students suffer.

"Ehem ehem, may I have your attention, guys!" She giggled as though she couldn't contain her excitement. "Why don't we have our election today? Ma'am Val said we need to conduct it as early as possible and our next teacher is not here yet. Para na rin matapos na tayo, right?" I cringe at her high pitched voice at sigurado na hindi lang ako. But with the thought of getting another work done, the students here would be more likely to agree with her. Niana smiled when no one vocally agreed nor objected. It appeared to be more of a grin to me though.

Niana began writinh the different positions of the officers on the board.

"The nomination for the position of Muse is now open. Anyone from the girls and boys?"

If I remember it right, there are two slot for the position of muse— one for boys, and a slot for girls. The opposite gender will vote for the other side. I don't really see it as an essential part of the position but yeah, it is not for me to decide anyway.

Nangunot ang nuo ko nang marinig ko ang pangalan at hagikhikan sa likod ko. Stupid, of course I know what they are thinking.

"I nominate Lissy for Muse!"

"I nominate Andrea!"

"I nominate Uoiea for the position of Muse!"

"HAHAHAH baliw!"

The class laughed, aside from the girl sitting beside me. She tried to silence the fits of laughter and looked at me with worry in her eyes. I just averted my gaze. What is she even worried for?

And many names have been nominated and for every position, my name gets to mention. Surprisingly, Niana did not bother to write my name, contrary to what I was expecting her to do. I don't know if I should be glad, or rather bothered.

Oh well. What have you got under you sleeves, little Niana?

And so the nomination for the classroom officers goes on. I smiled as I mentally read my written name on the board.

Classroom President: Loreal, Uoiea L.

You see, the primary duties of the classroom president includes working with student to resolve problems and informing school leaders and the student council of the ideas emanating from the class. The president also has the responsibility of leading class cabinet meetings and organizing student activities and events. In short, it has a great deal of work.

If you're wondering how I was elected to be the class president, well, with a little push of Niana's silver tongue and with my classmates being convinced that I am a person who engage in technical field obsessively and pays a great attention to detail, in other words—a nerd, I ended up being elected as the class president.

Niana's intention might be to cause trouble and place emotional pressure  through putting me under a position which— in fact— makes a person to feel just so.

But this might actually be a blessing in disguise, though. It could help me maintain or even elevate my academic performance. I mentally chuckled at the irony of the situation.

I adjusted the strap of my bag and made my way out of the room. No matter how good or bad the situation I'm in is, it does not change the fact that I'll have to work the hell out of me soon.