3. The North

SCARLETT

"Scar! Over here."

I turned in the direction of the enthusiastic voice and, sure thing, on the other end of the platform stood my favourite partner-in-crime ever since we met at uni ten years ago.

Glasgow train station was quite busy at this time of the day and the platform was packed with people but I scurried over to Riley, zigzagging between everyone in my path. Two gentle arms wrapped around me when I finally reached her and my body relaxed with relief after everything that had happened in the past twenty-four hours.

Riley had the face of an angel but her innocent look only fooled those who didn't know her- everyone else was aware just how much of a badass she truly was. Not to mention that as far as the security and protection field in the UK was concerned, my bestie was one of the top professionals in the country and I knew that there was nowhere else that I was going to be safer. Plus, I was dying to catch up with her and find out everything about her time in Scotland.

"Well, if it isn't my long-lost friend Aurelie Boswell," I teased her as we embraced.

Riley giggled and grabbed my luggage from me, directing me towards the exit of the station.

"It's actually Moreau around here," she corrected me with a smile. "Turns out that my parents were kind of a big deal in the area and were quite well-known, so a lot of people knew who I was when I got here."

My eyes nearly popped out in surprise at the pride that emanated from her as she spoke. Until recently, Riley didn't know anything about her birth family and then one day, her long-lost brother arrived, inviting her to join him in Scotland to find out more about her heritage and her biological parents.

"Oh wow, you've accepted your birth family's name- that's a huge step. How do your parents feel about it?"

"They are okay with it. Actually, they were up here recently and got to meet my brother and... erm, everyone." There was a hesitation in her voice that didn't seem to have anything to do with her family but I could not figure out what else could be. "Anyway, a lot of things have changed over the past weeks- it was definitely the right decision for me to come to Scotland. I am...happy," she said as she pointed her car key at a nearby silver BMW X5, unlocking it so that we could put my luggage in the booth.

I looked at my best friend, thinking about her words. She was glowing, contentment radiating from her. Her unusual blue eyes with golden circles around the irises were sparkling in a way that I had never seen before.

If I didn't know better, I would have said that she was a woman in love, but Riley avoided relationships like the plague. Despite her incredibly giving and protective nature, which made her extremely generous and open with everyone she cared about, she guarded her heart when it came to men. Her high expectations also didn't make things easier for her because she was never going to find one man to fit all her criteria.

I, on the other hand, hid my romantic soul behind my flirty behaviour and various flings. Rugged, bearded men with tattoos were usually my cup of tea, yet I couldn't help but wonder if it was because of the promise they carried of a wild time between the sheets or because I secretly hoped that I could turn them into charming, passionate teddy bears.

Jesus, my parents divorcing when I was little had really messed me up. Their broken relationship made me long to find someone who would love me and stand by my side, no matter what, but it was probably better to accept that these kinds of men only existed in fairytales.

Whatever Scotland had brought Riley, it certainly made her happy and I was thrilled for her. She deserved it. It didn't mean that I was not going to tease her about it as we drove away from the airport.