34. That's what friends are for

SCARLETT

Two baby blue eyes stared at me as the young woman who stood at the door waited for my answer. Her question seemed polite enough, but I could see that she was trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted.

"I'm looking for Riley." The words barely left my mouth, and a spark of recognition flashed across her face. Before I knew it, she threw herself around my neck, holding on to me like we were long lost friends, finally reunited; yet, I had no clue who she was.

"Oh goddess, you must be Scarlett. I have heard so much about you." Gone was the earlier tension. Her voice was full of excitement, her face beaming with joy. "I should have known it was you- there are not many humans who would have ventured this far into the packhouse. Come, Riley just finished putting her dress on."

My new friend grabbed my hand and led me through the stunning duplex penthouse that bathed in the light from the rooftop terraces overlooking Loch Lomond. The whole place exuded Scottish elegance and charm, but I could also see my best friend's belongings scattered all over. Riley was a lot of things but tidy was not one of them.

"She is upstairs in the master bedroom," the girl explained as she pointed towards the grand staircase. "I'm going to grab us all some drinks and I'll come in a second, but you should go ahead." And she disappeared into the kitchen.

I didn't wait for another invitation, even though exploring this beautiful apartment was also tempting. The second floor was just as impressive, and I was undoubtedly going to get lost if it wasn't for Riley's voice that came from the room at the end of the corridor.

"Nat, where did you go?

My mind immediately concocted a mischievous plan- that's what friends were for, right?

I opened the door quietly, ready to prank my best friend but instead, I was stupefied, unable to do anything but stare speechless as my eyes filled with tears. My mind was absolutely blank, apart from one word. Wow.

Riley stood in front of a big mirror in the room, radiant in the ravishing princess cut, long-sleeved lace wedding dress that she was wearing. The neckline ran horizontally along the collarbone, stopping wide at each shoulder, while the low scalloped back exposed her bare skin. The ball gown silhouette looked magical on her, and the intricate lace pattern that flowed through the whole dress was mesmerising. The closer I got, I realised that the pattern on the skirt was actually of a wolf and a dragon standing on each side of a shield.

"Scarlett Miller, it is very rude to try to sneak up on people like that," Riley laughed and turned around to look at me. "And also incredibly foolish around people with a heightened sense of smell."

But I was still too stunned to speak, even more so now that I was able to see Riley and the dress in all their glory. My best friend's natural beauty meant that she looked just as breathtaking with her hair down and nothing but an eyeliner as other brides did after hours in the hands of the best make-up artists and hairdressers.

She was the most beautiful bride that I had ever seen, though my mind struggled to process the realisation that I was seeing Riley as a bride.

The woman who always swore that she needed no man in her life, let alone two.

The freest spirit that I knew, one that rebelled at the simple idea of ever settling down.

And yet, here we were.

"Are you going to say anything, Scar? Does it look bad?"

"I think I just need a minute to accept that this really is true- I should probably pinch myself to be sure that it's not a dream," I said playfully, sticking my tongue out at her.