The smile that was on Lizzie's face quickly falls and Steve can't bear it.

"Come here," Steve says and pulls her into a hug.

Neither of them cry but they find comfort in each other, like they always have.

Their moment is broken by the sound of a knock on the front door.

Downstairs, Bucky hears the knock and takes the soup off the burner so he can answer it.

He is incredibly surprised when he opens the door to find Riley Pearson.

Riley looks equally surprised to see Bucky.

"Oh, hi Bucky. Is Lizzie home?" Riley asks.

"Nope," Bucky says harshly and goes to shut the door.

"Riley? What are you doing here?" Lizzie asks.

Both boys turn around to see the twins standing on the stairs.

"I need to talk to you, it's important," Riley says.

Something in his tone makes her take him seriously. Whatever he wants to talk about is important.

"Okay, maybe we can talk in the living room," Lizzie says.

Bucky shoots her a hurt look. She pleads with her eyes for him to understand.

"Yeah, maybe alone would be best," Riley adds.

He knows how protective Bucky can be towards Lizzie. He remembers how Bucky interrupted their date. He was like a protective big brother that night.

"No," Bucky says sharply.

"I think whatever we need to talk about can be in front of Bucky if it's as important as you say it is," Lizzie says.

Bucky knows that Riley wouldn't be stupid enough to try anything with him there.

"Ok, that's fine," Riley says.

The three of them go into the living room and Riley sits on the arm chair while Bucky and Lizzie sit on the couch.

"So what's going on Riles?" Lizzie asks.

Jealousy flares up in Bucky at the nickname but forces it down. He knows if he acts up, Lizzie will make him leave and he wants to be here for this.

"Royce wants to meet up with you," Riley says straight to the point.

Bucky is immediately to his feet.

"Uh uh, no way. He isn't getting within a mile of her. I won't allow it," Bucky says.

"It's not up to you, it's up to her. But you've never been very accepting of her choices, now have you Bucky?" Riley asks condescendingly.

Lizzie decides to deescalate the situation before the boys really start going at it.

"Why does he want to meet up?" Lizzie asks.

"I'm not completely sure. My mom and his mom are still friends and they asked me to pass the message along to you. I don't think they would've asked me if they thought there was any malicious intent. You know my mom loved you and wouldn't want to see you hurt," Riley says.

"What do you think?" Lizzie asks him.

Riley was always so analytical so she knows he has his own opinions on the matter.

"I honestly don't know what to think. I know that whatever he did to you was an accident so maybe he is trying to atone for that. If it makes you feel any better, I could go with you," Riley offers.