12. A Side of Salsa

Start from the beginning

Trevor's hands go up in surrender. "You're a grown ass man and she's my older sister so I'm not getting involved. But just... handle with care if you do. And don't forget she's got a daughter. I don't need you inserting yourself into my niece's life and making things harder for her. For both of them."

"I wouldn't do that," I assure him before changing gears and sending over a confident smirk. "Besides, kids love me."

"You think everybody loves you."

"Your girlfriend loves me. So does your mom."

Trevor laughs. "My mom loves everybody, Tommy. And Lacy tolerates you because she loves me."

"Okay, that's fair," I shrug, fiddling with the silverware in front of me.

Wait. I can joke about Lacy all I want but Amelia taking to me kindly is actually crucial here. And Ed... oh, shit.

I look at Trevor again. "Your mom does like me, right? And your dad... I mean, do they think I'm a good person?"

He nods his head with a smirk. "Chill out, man. You're in their good graces."

"Okay."

Just making sure.

When Amber and Lacy return, that familiar anticipation floods my chest as I stand up and guide Amber past me. The light, pleasant smell of her coconut shampoo invades my nostrils, waking up the rest of my senses as she slides into the booth before me. I watch her eyes track my movement when I sit down and she offers me a little smile as I take my seat beside her.

Now, I don't know what girls do on these mysterious trips to the bathroom together but whatever it is, I'm happy to report it seemed to repair Amber's mood a bit.

She's a bit more spirited as she strikes up a conversation with Lacy about her latest art endeavor. But all at once, when Trevor asks his sister how parents' night went with Mia a couple days ago, I don't miss the sinking of Amber's shoulders as the veil floats back down and she halfheartedly shares a few details about Mia's classroom and her teacher before changing the subject with a smile.

Up goes the veil again. She's back and I'm beginning to put the pieces together.

The waitress drops off menus and takes our drink order before disappearing and we all look over the options. Trevor and Lacy share a menu, going back and forth across from us in a lively discussion about what they're each going to order as Amber and I quietly peruse our own menus.

I glance over at her. "What are you getting?"

She peels her eyes from the menu in her hands, bringing them up to meet mine. "I was looking at the nachos, but..." Her words come out slowly and she follows them up with a nervous laugh as though she's unsure. "The tray is so big," she explains. "I won't finish all of them."

The corner of my mouth tilts into a sly grin. "Are you asking if I'll split the nachos with you?"

"Are you up to the task?" she counters back immediately, a spark of humor in her eyes.

"Sure. If you agree to put the sour cream and salsa on the side," I respectfully request.

Her brows knit together as she shakes her head. "Your insistence on always dipping sour cream and salsa is weird."

I throw my hand on my heart, feigning offense. "It's not weird."

"You dipped your tacos in the salsa that one time instead of putting it in the shell with the rest of the toppings, Tommy. That's weird."

"I'm offended that you're offended by that."

"Go ahead and be offended," she laughs, animatedly tearing her eyes away from me like she can't bear the disappointment of my preferences anymore. This is something I haven't lived down since the time we got tacos after our walk a couple weeks ago and I'm not gonna lie, I love how fired up it gets her.