12. A Side of Salsa

Start from the beginning

"What happened?" Amber asks, her voice low as she traces her finger around the laceration.

She has no fucking idea what she's doing to my entire nervous system right now and I laugh a little, trying to control my breathing.

"Teenager with a pocket knife," I tell her, resisting the urge to shrug it off like it's no big deal. It does look worse than it really is but I don't mind the way her hands feel wrapped around mine so I'm gonna milk this one.

"It looks painful," she remarks softly, lifting her face up to mine and holding my gaze.

Fucking gone. I'm gone in those eyes.

That's how I end up hitting her with the most cliché, macho line that ever existed in the world of fist fighting and juvenile brawling as I mutter, "You should see the other guy."

Amber's eyebrows float up and the ghost of a smile appears on her lips. "Whatever you say, Maverick."

Now that I'm getting a good look at her face, even through her cute movie quip, I notice there's something missing from her smile, like she's holding back or forcing it. I just can't tell which it is. I've seen this look on her face a lot, witnessed the veil that lifts up and drops back over it as she contends with herself over feeling what she's feeling or covering it up the way she's done for so long. It never gets easier to watch and it's in these moments I wish I could pull her against my chest, hold her close, and tell her that it's going to be alright.

I wish we were on the beach, where I'm confident she would open up to me out there under the clouds, using the backdrop of the setting sun and Stella's nonsense as a distraction to take the pressure off.

But for now, we're in this restaurant and I have to settle for an encouraging glance. I don't even know how long we stand here in our own little world as Amber seems to tell me without speaking that something is bothering her and I try to remind her she's strong, but it's long enough to catch Lacy's attention and demand that Amber accompany her to the bathroom.

Before I know it, she's dragging her off as I try to rein in my concern and take a seat in the booth across from Trevor, allowing my eyes to drift off in the direction Amber is leaving in. And yes, falling to her ass, despite the very emotional moment we just shared. I can't help it. Tilting my head for a better view was completely accidental though and apparently not missed by Trevor.

"Are you checking out my sister? Right in front of me?"

"No," I blurt out, looking over at him. The suspicion on his face is exchanged for a semi-grossed out scowl and I know I've been caught. "Yes," I mutter, admitting defeat. "Sorry, man. But she's like... really pretty."

Really fucking pretty.

Trevor's eyes roll dramatically but there's some amusement in them now. "Sure you don't mean hot?"

I clear my throat, wanting to laugh but also needing to choose my words and facial expressions carefully in this tiny booth. I go for a not too blatant shit-eating grin. I'm only here to inform, after all.

"Your sister manages to walk the fine line of both," I tell Trevor. "Excellently if you ask me."

He shakes his head, offering me a half smile before his face goes serious. "Well, I hope you know what you're doing, Tommy. This is a big adjustment for her. Even if her marriage seems to have been over long before she finally left that asshole, it really only makes her situation more complicated in some ways."

Oh boy. "You're jumping way ahead here. I didn't say I was going after her or anything." I can feel the lie dancing around on my tongue. But then, technically, I haven't actually said much to Trevor about his sister so it's not really a lie. However, this seems like just as good a time as any to test the waters, so I shoot him a side eye, "But if I was... I can handle complicated. Would you have anything to say about that?"