on the hunt - 4

My mind raced with what Ethan told me, I was a human right?

I had all the characteristics of a human, I was fleshy, my blood was warm, my heart was beating and I had brain activity. I was alive, I was just a human. Right?

I never knew why the Megamycete didn't kill me, The Dimitrescus' experimented on me for as long as I can remember. Only I never died, never even got a common cold. I've seen countless other subjects seize up and die when the virus entered their veins. I couldn't have been a vampire, because the cold nor the sun bothered me.

Only I didn't. The virus did the opposite, it healed my ailments, it closed my wounds and kept me strong.

I was a human. Now, what was I?

I had to find out.

...

I finished my chores for the day, rather quickly and headed back to my quarters.

I peeled off the layers of my clothing, removing my white button down, and the black dress pants. I kicked off my black flats and my lace stockings, leaving me in just my bra and underwear. I stood in front of the mirror, pulling my hair from the bun and letting my hair drop down, admiring myself.

My brown skin on my collarbone and neck was tinged a golden color, probably from the scarring. I turned around, poking and prodding at the old scars lacing my body. I was fairly built, I wasn't too skinny, but I wasn't too plump. I had thighs and hips, but my legs and arms were toned and sculpted. Probably from years of running around and lifting things around the castle.

I took a hold of my face, turning it in the mirror, looking at my face. As much as my body was abused by Alcina, I was thankful she never really scarred my face, spare for a few scratches.

I peeled off my undergarments, taking care to analyze every portion of my body. Without much thinking, I walked over to my dresser drawer, pulling my small blade from the drawer, hidden under my clothes.

I kept it hidden in case the castle was under attack and I needed to defend myself.

I held the beautifully sculpted blade in my hand, my fingers running over the cool metal. My hands brushed over the blade, the serrated steel tickling and snagging at my fingertips.

I don't know where my mind went, but I held my wrist out, quickly slicing it open with the dagger. My eyes automatically squeezed shut as it split, and I dropped the blade to the floor. I raised my wrist to my mouth, slurping the blood up, lapping at the wound with a weird need to have more.
I was sure that the wound had already closed by now, only I couldn't detach my mouth from my wrist, trying desperately to drink every drop that I could suck out. The taste of iron and something unusually sweet filled my mouth, it tasted like the nectar from a honeysuckle plant. My mind was reeling as the blood hit the back of my throat. I snatched my wrist back, gasping breathlessly and panting like a dog.

My face turned to the mirror, my lips and tongue glossy with blood. As I stared at myself in the mirror, my eyes flashed a deep inky red color. I couldn't help but stare at the lighter patches of skin on me, quickly flashing a weak gold color and disappearing. I jumped back, startled at my reflection, at what I saw.

I always wondered why Lady Alcina, wouldn't allow me to have blood, or to even taste it. She strictly forbade it.

Now I do.

I needed answers.

...

After my bath and changing into a white and red striped turtleneck, beige khaki grandpa shorts, and red sandals. I changed into something much more casual, and brushed my hair, tying it up in a curly but crumpled bun.