Liam Griffin

The day has come. Graduation is ahead of me. After many battles, I'm here. My father and I talked about what happened. He did say that this was something he never wanted to come out and tell others.

It's like he was hiding behind everyone. That's how I see it. Even if he hasn't been the best father to me or West, I accept who he is. There's no doubt that I wouldn't. Eventually, he will tell mom that he has moved on.

I thought he would wait, but time had other plans. I'm hoping she won't be alone with her forgotten memories. Nobody would want to be alone for the rest of their life.

West hasn't spoken to me at all. He's put up a cold shoulder since I came back from seeing her. I've tried to mend things over because having nobody show up at your graduation is already heartbreaking enough. The hard work and every obstacle to see nobody at the end of the finish line waiting there for you except college and work.

Hayden's the only person I can count on. My mother has been the only person I kept deep in my heart. Her loving words and actions. I'm growing up and, there are other people I've also shared my love with. That's Hayden. She's everything I want.

If she's going through this disorder for the rest of her life, I want to be there too. we've gotten to the bottom of her grandfather's death. He's going to get justice now.

Wishing we could put our dead grandfather behind bars is harsh. We just want the town to know the truth and going to the police may be the better option. People can come into your life for a reason. Hayden is my reason.

The weather is extremely humid. I slipped on a white tie with my collared shirt and dress pants. My gon and cap lay on my bed next to my phone. West is next door also getting ready. Today is the day of graduation.

The summer break is just around the corner. I'm thinking about what I will do before college and I'm still not sure. There's time still for me to enjoy life for how it is. Without worrying or stressing about college or work. I'll enjoy today for today.

The clacking of shoes creaks on the wood flooring. My watch ticked to the next second. My father is throwing on his blazer. His hair is slicked with gel. I can see West's fiance sitting impatiently downstairs on the sofa. In just a few hours, I will be walking with my diploma. I called my mother earlier this morning. Her gratified voice put a smile on my face.

A caretaker will take her to the ceremony and back. I can imagine her shining eyes in the distance watching me grow in front of her. Time flies by fast. Hopefully, the time slows down between me and Hayden. It's the only way every moment can be cherished.

Hayden said she would meet me there. I can't wait to see how cute she would look in a graduation outfit. She's always seemed confident in what she wore. I pick up my graduation cap from my bed. It lays perfectly on top of my head.

The tassel sways on the side with numbers of 2021 in silver. West's shoes are heard behind me. "Are you ready to go?" He asks.

"Yeah, can you at least look a little happy for me?" I look at him with a blunt face.

"Fine, I'll put on a fake smile for you," West forced his lips upwards.

"That's now what I mean," I sit at the edge of my bed. West sits next to me.

"Then what do you mean?" He looked at me.

"You don't act like my brother anymore. Ever since you went away to be this big successful guy, you left me here. Mom misses seeing you. Not the asshole of a guy West," I say. West locked his hands together. A glint of wetness is seen in his eye.

"It felt better to be someone else and not a part of this family. Maybe, I was ashamed of you. Yeah, you're my brother but, everyone was hell-bent on me. Our mother has dementia and that's not something I would be proud of saying. My fiance is someone I barely know. You can guess by now my father wasn't someone rich. He is your principal to be specific. Mostly, the reason why I came."

"What?" I say dramatically. West nods slowly at me.

"Yeah, I figured he wasn't owning to be as good as me. That's why I've always made your father, my father," He explains.

The truth came out. He didn't care about our childhood together. The reputation was far too deep in his head. His finance was just a publicity stunt. He's living a lie. My principal is his biological father. The same man that broke up the fight I got into. Shit, that's crazy. West does a have point.

"West, I don't know you. The brother from six years ago is not here." My hand pushed me from the bed to stand.

West did no deny what I said. He ate the silence. I  jog down the stairs to see my father with a camera ready. For a few seconds, I entertained his fake fatherly gestures. It was only because I saw what happened is the reason why he's being so nice.

We all got in the same car with my father driving, we reached in no time. Dozens of students came out of their cars from the parking lot to head into the gymnasium. There is loud blaring music and balloons everywhere.

Ahead of everyone, Hayden's Graduation cap was different from everyone else's. That's how I spotted her in the crowd. She stuck out beautifully. The teachers stood at each classroom door cheering with boredom.

The largest amount of students ahead of me turned to walk into the gym. I followed suit passing by the sweet aroma of bakery food. All of the parents were already seated in the front rows.

My mother sat with a caretaker. She is in the front row and I can't help but squeeze her small frame. Her eyes trail down to look at me. Her arms tighten in the hug I gave. I pull away to take a seat next to Hayden. The wide sparkle to her eyes got bigger seeing me.

"Hey cutie," I  take her warm hand. Hayden's face turns a dark shade of red. The shy smile wouldn't leave her face.

"Hey, Liam, you got something on your face." I raise my hand to see when out of the blue, she kisses the side of my cheek. My smirk deepens. The principal started the ceremony.

Thirty minutes of talking and acknowledgments later, he got to call us for our diplomas. One by one, we hear names said. The gym is except for after when they clapped. I hear my name next as I made it down to take my diploma.

My hands shake two other people before turning. My mother is standing tall with her hands clapping. She rooted from afar. I guess this is where it ends.

A girl of my dreams and my mother back. Regardless of my father and my brother, we are family.