Hayden North

I had just gotten out of the principal's office. I may or may not have put up the middle finger to my principal. There was a lot of cursing and blackmailing involved. Thinking back to it, I don't think my actions were wrong. When I had gotten into his office after hearing my name called, he told me to sit.

"I would like to review your side of the story. We know that Thomas Sanderson and Liam Griffin got in a fight but not from your side," the principal opened a new sheet of paper to start writing. My hands stayed in my lap to keep my skirt from riding up.

The sunlight is casting a shadow on the carpet in his office. He has kids by the best dad of the year mug on his desk next to a finger painting done by a little child on the wall behind him. It's almost time for work and for me to switch to my work clothes. The principal is waiting for me to speak first.

"What might you do with this information?" I pull my braids to my back. The principal looked at me composed.

"I will make a report based on what you tell me is all," he clicked his pen. That's why I have to tell the truth. I can't say that I got involved. They might try to sink Liam with whatever I say.

"I saw a girl getting abused by her boyfriend. I was outside of my classroom at the time. The guy approached me with his hands pulling my braids. He thought that I had seen too much," I made my voice sound frail and afraid. Thomas Sanderson is going down. The principal wrote down what I said.

"Specify the name of the boy and the girl you are speaking of," he remarked. I clear my throat.

"Thomas Sanderson, sir. He's not good to have at school. His girlfriend Chelsey Peterson was cowering. I was utterly scared," I sadly look down. He flips the page and writes something again.

"Chelsey needs to be away from that guy. Thomas Sanderson is crazy," I added. The principal stopped writing to put away the paper in a file marked 'Thomas Sanderson.' His school record is going down.

"As far as I can do is make a report. She needs to go to the authorities if this is a serious matter. Teenagers these days make a small argument sound like he abuses her," the principal laughed to grab his jacket. I guess it is dismissal. That doesn't mean the conversation is over.

"A student is being abused. What is your response? You're a fucking excuse of a principal," I hollered. He looked at me like I had two heads.

"Ms. North, I don't think you want your file to be the next one written about," he tied a scarf around his neck. There it goes again. The unexplainable feeling.

"Don't tell me what the fuck to do. I hope that I hear you do something about this," I take my bag up. The principal went straight to the door and held it for me.

"Goodbye then, Ms. North.  Liam Griffin has a wealthy family. I suggest you stay back. Expect to see that the next time you are in trouble, I will make it very bad for you," he said under his breath. Students walking are loud. Their talking hid his words. The principal flashed a bogus smirk to people who called his name.

"Oh, suck it." I put up my middle finger. I suck my teeth at him. The students nearby gasped to their friends that turned to me. My sudden rage came in handy there. I've hated how much it is starting to happen. I don't think it's so bad. I'm going to the bathroom to change. I open the bathroom door. It's empty. A stall door is open.

The door locks with the latch as I take out my work shirt. It's a bit dingy and smells like an old man peed on it. They said it was all they had left. I think it's because I am now they are testing my patience.

I'll hand wash it after work today. I button the shirt to fix the long sleeves. My green cardigan comes over it. I decided to take a shirt alone so that I wouldn't have to get naked. I switch the latch and make my way out of the school building.