Liam Griffin

A too-quiet silence has a way of making burning emotions erupt. This burning emotion can cause physical heartache for the weak and hurt. I came to sit at this bench again. My head is trying to wrap itself around so many things at once.

I'm trying not to think about how hard I slammed my father's car door and ignored him telling me about how Ms. Luther next door saw me sneak out when she went to walk her dog outside. She just happened to be outside. I never saw her.

That lady watches through her window and is almost a spy for my father. It's not like I care what she tells him, but she's making my bag of trash smell worse.

Then again, I used that park as a time to sit on what has happened. There's a lot that's making me want to say fuck you to the world when life has only just started for me.

The night is not as cold as the night I met Hayden. I change my uniform to joggers and a black hoodie. I had to watch my dad lock my bedroom window.

Gracefully, I climbed out my bathroom window instead. Ms. Luther sat with her legs up, counting bags of cocaine next door. She lies a lot. I think that could be side effects of her personality.

You can see into her window and notice the lights on with the thin curtain. The television was on with bags of cocaine on the ground as she talked to someone I couldn't see. We both have secrets. I think old Ms. Luther should lay off my secrets.

I would hate to tell my father that she is selling cocaine to people to stay in that beautiful three-story house. I walked to the bench and sat down. I wasn't expecting to hear anyone until the bench creaked. It was her.

Hayden's face was holding in pain that it hurt to look at her. I was going to ask her what's wrong when she told me she wasn't okay. That her beautiful smile earlier wasn't her being okay.

When she stood up for Chelsey, she was not okay. Hayden looked so angry at herself and the world. She was fighting with every ounce of her soul to hold back the tears. I could tell from the way her arms stayed folded that she was wearing a jacket.

The black jacket that I gave her. I knew that I would be the dumbest guy if I didn't comfort her. She shouldn't have to feel this way or cry this hard over something.

It doesn't matter if she doesn't tell me. I already know. My arm had come around her to pull her close to me. I'm showing her that I understood even if it doesn't seem like it. I hope she can hear my fast beating heart when I do this.

My face flushes when she dips her head into the crook of my shoulder. That's where my hoodie exposed most of my skin. Hayden's heart thumps heavily against my chest. Her cries shake her body against mine.

"I'm so stupid. People aren't happy with me. They're disappointed. I'm so stupid," She chanted. The hands that were around my waist to hug me reached upwards. Hayden's hitting herself. From the noise, it's her head she's hitting.

"Hey, you're fine. Hayden, let it out. You are not mad at yourself," I could hear my voice crack because that's what she's thinking. Her sadness and despair are becoming my sadness and despair.

With this hug, I'm sharing every bad thing that has happened without telling her. We both needed the hug. I held onto her for a while longer. I slip my warm hand under the jacket to rub her back. Hayden doesn't hesitate. Her body scooches closer to mine.

The night did not affect the spark between us. She feels tender with her skin being one piece of clothing away from mine. Her body fits perfectly with my body. It's a match made in broken heaven for broken people. Her shaking stopped. She stilled in my arms. Hayden's hands were limp around my back. This is not a good sign.