Chapter 4

-&-

From that moment on, Killian found strength. He found hope. He pressed on. He told himself one day things would get better. Not the best but at least better than his state at the moment. Yet he also knew that he wasn't ever going to get that happy ending. Well, maybe he would be happy but just not with the woman he loved dearly.

His journey became easier. He divided the pack of bread, limiting his consumption to one piece of bread per day. It wasn't much but enough to ease his hunger for the day. And enough to keep him moving on. He couldn't contain his happiness when he saw the woods a few miles away. He welcomed the woods with a change of clothes and a charge of heart.

The bag that he got from the diner proved to be very useful. Clothes, a jug of water, some books and a contraption with blades that Killian was of this world. The clothes were a bit too big for him but he didn't care. No one would care. The water was enough for one drinking but it felt like the best water he had ever drank in his entire life. The contraption would come in handy in the woods. It was small but sharp enough. The books though... maybe some other time. Along the way to the woods, he spotted an old abandoned truck that reminded him of David's. For a long time, he realized how far he was from Storybrooke and how alone he was. He quickly brushed that thought away. And, he realized, for a long time, he was able to sleep on somewhere other than grass. He was able to obtain a map from one of the compartments of the truck.

He vaguely remembered he had seen a sign somewhere in his journey. He had spent half a day just to joggle his mind until he did. He quickly sat up, the grass rustling under his movements. He grabbed the map lying by his side. From there on, he had somewhere to go to. From that day on, he finally had a direction.

———————————————————————————————————

Weeks have passed. To be honest, Emma didn't feel it. She didn't even know until she realized and she remembered.

It was a Saturday morning. David was with Mary Margaret because Neal had a fever the past few days. She knew her mom couldn't sit still and relax without someone by her side. That's why she quickly agreed to her dad's request to manage the office alone for a few hours while he stay with Mary Margaret and baby Neal.

There she was sitting on her office chair, wishing that it would recline more whilst looking at another thing every once in a while. She actually felt like a child who ate too much sweets and couldn't sit straight. Bored was the word. She had already finished the paperwork for today and all she could really do was just wait for phone calls, asking for the sheriff.

Emma sighed and looked at the clock for the thousandth time. A sound echoed across the room and her eyes immediately found the closed door of the sheriff's office. Maybe she was just making that up. She groaned out loud. The room fell into silence again and Emma wanted to break it so bad yet she couldn't.

Because somehow she knew something was wrong. She knew there was something off. Yeah, she was bored as hell. Like after a week full of paperwork, it suddenly tones down and nothing was happening in Storybrooke as of the moment. Not that she was complaining but it just felt wrong.

She tapped her fingers on the table as her eyes scanned the room. She suddenly pictured her parents behind separate bars, holding on to each other's hands with tears in their eyes and fear in their hearts. Anna and Kristoff were saying their goodbyes as Elsa watched them quietly with sad eyes. And there she was holding her baby brother, feeling heavy with the responsibilities she had. Then he came in.

Her eyes widened. She bolt up from her seat.

Him.

It was him.

Her chest tightened in guilt. Her head swirled as she realized how stupid and ignorant of her. That was why. After all this time, she had just realized. Her stomach dropped in anxiety and worry. She quickly stood up and grabbed her keys. The police station was going to be closed off early for today.

———————————————————————————————————

"Another song? Last one for the night."

The bar was a bit packed tonight so Killian had to extend. Yet a group of giggling ladies asked for another song and, being the gentleman that he is, he just had to conform. Especially when they actually handed him a few notes together with a piece of paper containing their song request.

He checked his guitar just to make sure it was in tune. He started off with a strum and he started to sing, to serenade the crowd and the ladies who asked for the song. It felt amazing. Music helped him. When he sings, he almost forgets what happened to him. It saved him. Then he realized that it had saved him even he was just a child. He remembered his mother would sing to him when he would have nightmares during his sleep. When his parents died, he remembered the deep voice of his brother humming to him, putting him to sleep. When his crew were still sleeping from their hangover, he remembered the soft voices of the birds singing him to peace.

No one knew he sang. Not anymore. Liam did. And probably his mother did too. But they were gone now. So no one knew that he could sing except these people who didn't care about who this guy in front with the guitar was. His voice wasn't amazing but he knew he was capable. He ended the song and wished everyone a good night or morning, he joked. As he returned his guitar in its bag, the bar returned to its usual business of people laughing away and drinking to their health.

He was even fast in learning the instrument. He found it and Tristan taught him how to play. He was able to pick up the steps easily and he couldn't stop playing. He grew to love the songs of this realm. And before he knew it, he was already composing his own songs.

By the time that he finished, it was around 1 in the morning. He quickly got his pay for the night and made his way to his truck. He was lucky to evade his friends or else he wouldn't have been able to return home for the night. Without wasting any time, he was already lying down on his bed as soon as he reached home, ignoring the fact that he almost ate nothing for dinner. He was too sleepy to think of that anyway. He was, however, more than capable of thinking of a blonde woman smiling at him. It happened every night and tonight was no exception. But not long, the image of Emma Swan was swallowed by darkness and he was snoring in deep slumber.

———————————————————————————————————

I know there's not much dialog happening so far because Killian and Emma are like alone in two separate places. There will definitely be a lot of talking at the middle of the fic. Honestly I don't know how long this will be. Originally, I planned to finish this before 4B but we all know that's not gonna happen anymore. So anyway, just hope I won't get bored. Fingers crossed. Oh, and leaving some reviews and comments would certainly help me not get bored :D